on 15 May 2016
Beautifully illustrated. I have the whole collection of books illustrated by R. Ingpen and I just LOVE them. It is my greatest pleasure to read them to my kids and I am enjoying them over and over again thanks to the beautiful editions. I do own many different editions of all the classic stories but this one is the best. I hope to read it to my grandchildren in the future.
on 6 March 2017
Bought for wife who's favourite movie is The Jungle Book. It's an easy read with great illustrations.
on 3 June 2015
wondeful gift
on 2 December 2010
My nine-year-old daughter is in the scouts and wanted to read this. We both chose this version on the strength of the illustrations we saw in the Look Inside feature, and we weren't disappointed. It's a weighty book and a challenging read for a nine-year-old, but its size and weight together with the quality of the illustrations have led her to say 'This is my treasure'. It's clearly very special to her. She loves curling up with it on the sofa, reads it whenever she can and loves talking about it. Definitely a good choice.
on 18 June 2011
Lovely book, fabulously illustrated. A real special book and one to keep on the bookshelf, would recommend for any child's library and would (and have) purchased other stories in the same format.
on 7 January 2012
I enjoyed this as an adult far more than I did as a child. When young, I expected the whole book to be about Mowgli. As an adult, I remembered that it was a collection of many things and thus wasn't disappointed. In fact, some of my favourites were not Mowgli stories. I particularly liked the story of the white seal.

Kipling has a real gift with words (reminds me a little of Ursula le Guin) and some of his tales read like myth.

I also appreciate the poems a lot more now. Kipling has a wonderful sense of rhythm, which I totally failed to appreciate when younger, but now really love.

A small bonus for me was realising that the poem with 'Her Majesty's Servants' was set to the rhythm of several songs that I knew. When he talks of the cavalry cantering to 'Bonnie Dundee', the metre is that of 'Bonnie Dundee'. He also works 'British Grenadiers' and 'Lincolnshire Poacher' into the same poem.
on 27 June 2013
I have two grandchildren and they are very much of the moment in their tastes in everything. Still I purchased this copy of the Jungle Book as it is such a classic and they love the film.
The book arrived promptly and as stated had a small amount of damage to the cover, which was from a sticker being removed.
I was so pleased with the book, as the illustrations are just brilliant and so I am really looking forward to sharing it with them.
on 10 February 2017
This is a superb edition of Kipling's classic Mowgli stories. They are of course a product of their time, and it has to be borne in mind when reading. This is of course so with all historical writing from Shakespeare to Orwell. It helps that Kipling is a writer of staggering skill, able to show us much about humanity while apparently characterising animals. Some younger readers might struggle a bit with some apparently archaic language, but it only requires a bit of effort to understand. Quite often Kipling is using thees and thous to suggest that characters are speaking and thinking in languages other than English - which, being Indian, they would be. This edition is also fabulously illustrated by Australian Robert Ingpen. If you haven't seen any of his illustrations before, you are in for a delighted surprise - check out what else he has done.
on 7 August 2010
This is a lovely book which has been enhanced by the beautiful illustrations of Mr ingpen.
The children and parents I have given books from this series are impressed by the lovely illustrations of books they know well.
on 28 September 2016
A really well made book with exceptional graphics that is a joy to read to wide eyed kids at bedtime. It took me back to when I first read Kiplings wonderful stories that never age. I would recommend the hardback that can be passed down through the pack.