Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Alphabet: Alison Jay's ABC
Format: Board book|Change

on 1 March 2014
Cannot stress enough how much we love this. It is great looking, with beautiful illustrations, and the thought that has gone into it is deeply appreciated by myself and my toddler. Every picture has so much going on to talk about, and little things to think about, as it forshadows different words, uses mini versions of characters and objects in other pictures so you can go back and forth, and also uses the letter illustrated in the page in more than the obvious choice in the picture, so you can ask your toddler "what other things begin with B int he picture?". Hence you can go on for a long time talking about this, and understanding language and letters spending quality time with your little one. Totally great.
on 12 March 2011
We have the board book with a picture of a Hot Air Balloon on the cover but I assume they are the same. A wonderful alphabet book for a young child, full of little discoveries aside from the main object in the picture. Lots to talk about with a young child. Highly recommended.
on 12 January 2010
This book is not a "jolly phonics" learn the alphabet book, but it has beautiful illustrations and the children can identify the objects of the letter being taught.
No lower case.
Nonetheless lovely.
on 9 September 2010
I chased down this book based on various reviews in parenting magazines and online, and it was worth it. THe pictures are wonderful, with so much detail. There are many more objects starting with the letters on each page than you see at first glance, so I think it will be popular a bit longer than the standard single "A is for apple" picture books. There is also a sort of fairytale story between the man and the woman, told over the course of the ABC's - it is most intriguing to adults! I find my daughter telling me "next one mummy?" because I am considering the subplot!
My only disappointment was that I was looking for the hardcover version, and the one I got was actually the board book. For a board book it is quite large - check the dimensions, it doesn't fit out bookshelf.
on 15 January 2011
I purchased this along with the Counting book by the same author and everyone loves it. Alison Jay's books have such wonderful illustrations. It makes bedtime reading so special when the pictures are nice to look at as well as the story content.
on 18 January 2013
I think this is a book for adults to enjoy with (or without) babies and toddlers, not a book for learning the alphabet. Lovely pictures and all lower case but not phonics based - g is for giraffe, o is for owl - confusing for a small child.
on 13 October 2015
This is the most beautifully illustrated book which children and adults can both enjoy. It has an air of sophistication and also somehow is very calming. I bought this for my children and am now buying it as a gift for new borns as I believe it has longevity and is the kind of book you would want to keep. On each page there are any things to discover beginning with the letter. e.g. for D you can spot a dog, doll, door, dancing etc. In addition elements on each page carry through to the next so there is a sort of progression of narrative which you can invent and discuss as there are no words. Would thoroughly recommend.
on 22 March 2010
Another amazing picture book from Alison Jay. If you're thinking of buying this please look at her counting book too. There is something about these books that stand out from the average ABC and 123 books. Both my 20 month and (almost) 3 year old are drawn to them both. Once again if you look hard on every page the book can take ages to read as their imaginations are encouraged to run wild with the clever illustrations and the clues to the following pages. I am in awe of this author.
I have just purchased the alphabet/numbers wall chart version of this book and, as a graphic designer myself, it was the artwork that appealed to me. My son isn't quite at the right age but I look forward to putting it on the wall and enjoying it too.
on 5 April 2011
My baby is almost 2 and loves this book. We've had it for a couple of months and it has really helped with her speech. Everytime we read the book we find something new. It also started a love affair with the moon!