on 8 June 2012
What to say? This edition is a beautiful art work, an excellent buy as long as you have the right readership in mind. Here is the original text, no watered down 'abridged' version but a tale that would be a PG at the cinema, with baddies biting the dust and in some cases the ocean and, sadly, some goodies perishing too. It's an action-packed adventure for boys and tomboys aged ten to ninety, although some girls may dislike the fact that the only women are the feeble Mrs Hawkins and Mrs Silver, notable by her absence. The fact is that the novel reflects the realities of 18th C treasure-hunting when, unless a woman WAS a pirate like Anne Bonney, she was unlikely to be found at sea, sailors having the superstition that a woman on board brought bad luck in the form of storms and high winds.

Stevenson's style is graphic and fast-paced and, although his vocabulary may daunt younger independent readers, all eager adventure-lovers with the patience to consult a dictionary if challenged, and the humility to take on an accurately researched sea-story of the days of sail, will find it gripping. It's best read aloud, remembering that Silver is an educated and utterly unprincipled villain, a 'killing gentleman' as Sir Terry Pratchett would term him. There's nothing funny about him. Captain Smollett is a braver man than you may recall, worthy of our respect, Dr Livsey is a decent man and a patient friend, and Squire Trelawney a brave, generous, gormless clot... As for Ben Gunn, Israel Hands, Blind Pugh and Billy Bones... Open the book and meet Kidd's crew. Pieces of Eight!

It was bought as a gift for a Dad to read to his son and to keep as a family treasure but is also suitable for reading by torch-light under the duvet: warning, it's a weighty tome that may become a strain for small hands.
on 23 April 2015
This book tells the Treasure Island story as originally written by Robert Louis Stevenson. The illustrations are vivid and exciting. I bought the book to read to my 7 year old granddaughter. However the prose of the book, its understanding and appreciation is probably more appropriate for reading/listening with children of 12 years or older. For younger children such as my granddaughter there are many fine adaptations
of the Novel in publication that would be better suited for bedtime reads .
on 21 November 2015
Cover ripped and crumpled when received but otherwise in good condition
on 28 December 2006
I bought this as a present for my 8 year old and he hasn't put it down. It is a superb large hardback with lovely illustrations and a good size of print. Would make a wonderful present for any child between the ages of 7-12 years.
22 Comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2009
My first ever copy of 'Treasure Island' was a prize won for being 'most improved pupil' of my year - 45 years ago. Since then, this classic adventure has been a life long friend in one form or another. In it's last reincarnation on my bookcase it was bound in dark blue with golden title but was looking decidely the worse for wear. So I bought this volume as a Christmas present to myself and I was not disappointed. The beautiful and evocative illustrations added substantially to my enjoyment of a joyfully familiar tale.
Heartily recommended!
on 29 June 2010
I brought this book as a birthday present for my brother in law and it is a lovely classic book.
The illustrations compliment the book and is definatley worth getting this as a hardback.
on 22 July 2009
I'm re-reading 'Treasure island' for the first time since I was 9 years old. Now I'm 30, and this edition is right up there in my list of favourite books. This edition is a very exciting book to pick up and read, with great art work which captures the narrative like no other. Originally I bought this for my friend's 7th birthday, but it seemed a bit challenging as the text can be quite archaic, so it made its way back to my shelf. The 7 year old can have a go with Asterix for a while.
on 1 April 2014
A beautiful book in every respect, would last a lifetime. Beautifully illustrated, a real classic in hardback, something to pass on to one's grand children. You'll have no regrets with this purchase.
on 5 June 2009
A great story supported by some terrific illustrations. This is the copy of the book I've always wanted.
This classic tale is enhanced by the brilliant illustrations that capture the feeling and imagination.
on 4 October 2013
... my husband has the follow-up novel 'Silver' and wanted to re-familiarise himself with the 'Treasure Island' story and characters before commencing the next book.
This was a chance find and just perfect. The illustrations are breath-taking and it is a truly beautifully crafted book and joy to look through and now we are vying as to who gets to read it first.
It would make a lovely gift and a beautiful publication to keep.
Blessings.