Customer reviews

on 9 January 2014
This is a thorough and detailed history yet it is fast paced and really holds your attention. It is cleverly arranged by theme as well as chronologically. Rosenthal isn't afraid to point out the shortcomings of the four artistic directors but at the same time values the unique contributions each has made. Very readable and I kept picking it up to read a bit more every time I put it down. I love theatre, I love the NT and I love this book. Just one word of warning- in hardback it does way 1.7kg. A weighty book but not a weighty read.
on 22 March 2014
This is a remarkable book, the size of a New York City phone book (for those of you who remember phone books.) Because I play a very small part in the procedures, I went right for that part first. Even though I think memory has played some tricks, and even though I was never asked whether a letter from me could be quoted (bad form...), I still feel honored to be a part of such an important book. It is a remarkable history, and it has been exhaustively chronicled. Bravo.
on 17 March 2014
An excellent book. Rosenthal turns a huge amount of information into a coherent and lively story, with lots of telling anecdotes. You don't expect the history of an institution to be a page-turner, but this one is. I'm not in the profession, or even a frequent NT-goer, but this book kept me reading well past bedtime. He writes so well that he even makes the bits about finances and fund-raising interesting.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 October 2015
Great book. But why isn't it available on Audible too, so that my blind husband can access it too?
on 17 April 2014
This witty and comprehensive account of The National Theatre is a must for anyone who has enjoyed the NT productions since its inception in the pre Olivier days. It is packed with juicy titbits,so much so that I was exclaiming out loud, actual facts on the finances - wow some revelations there - and every page delivers. I was going to dip in but in fact you can read it through from the beginning to the end like a racy novel. This is not to diminish its scholarly approach which will benefit serious students in the future. it is brick of a book but not too heavy but maybe a kindle user would prefer to download.
RECOMMEND!!!!!!!!
on 30 March 2014
Created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Theatre of Great Britain, it actually is a compendium celebrating England's theatrical heritage much farther back. A study of this theatre company is, in many ways, a study of the British character and values. Take your time (you must, this book is almost 1,000 pages long), do a chapter at a time, and marvel at what intricate details exist nowhere but in this book. It's a must-read for theatre teachers, students, actors and directors. Unvarnished truth, awe-strikingly good.
on 8 January 2014
This is a big, warm, deeply fascinating and extremely well-written account of one of the great visionary achievements of our national culture. Despite the philistinism of the Thatcher years and various economic recessions, the good old NT has pushed through with it's quality and commitment to popular and high art. This is highly readable, frequently moving and a huge endorsement of something that, like the NHS, could so easily be lost in the crass accountancy of Tory louts.
on 6 May 2014
If you have any interest in the theatre this book is a must. Entertaining and scrupulously even handed: it covers the great, good and not so great. Now I know what was really happening upstairs when we poor actors were floundering about below.
on 17 January 2016
Present for my daughter
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 December 2013
A well researched book which is a must for anyone interested in the history of the achievements of the NT.