on 10 May 2004
One of the few landmark books in the field, to be treasured alongside Amerine and Roessler's "Wines: Their Sensory Evaluation", and Peynaud's "The Taste of Wine". Broadbent's much-revised and -reprinted classic combines a hypersensitive palate, immense vocabulary, irrepressible wit with an encyclopaedic memory. A perfect amalagam from this well-seasoned British wine writer, judge, auctioneer and claret connoisseur. The only flaw is not of Broadbent's doing; rather, it is the incredibly stingy publisher, Mitchell Beazley, who produced this book in 1-point "Versailles", a beautiful typeface rendered nearly unreadable without benefit of a magnifying glass. Broadbent deserves much better than this slap across the eyeballs.
on 4 May 2014
I will treasure this book probably for the rest of my life. It's not new to me. I had a copy years ago, I think in the 1980s when I first started to take notice of the wine I was drinking and wondered how best to find out how to choose the wine I enjoyed and attempt to describe it. Several house moves later, during which my books were put into storage, where some succumbed to damp and rot, including Mr Broadbent's guide, I was delighted to find it was still available. I refer to it constantly, before I go to a tasting and afterwards when I review my notes. It is simply indispensable and a joy to read. It is unpretentious, practical and full of useful tips for the would be wine connoisseur. It is a lasting treasure. Buy it.