Customer reviews

on 8 July 2016
Arrived very promptly and in excellent condition. Well done and thank you!
on 8 May 2017
This 2014 edition appears to be exactly the same as the same title as published in 2005 by SuttonPublishing (0750936851). I presume this new editon enables it to be made available on Kindle? What ever, it is an excellent read - you can pick it up at any point and find something interesting to read. I was amazed at how persistent some of the music hall tropes are in our modern culture...quite a thing!
on 30 May 2008
I recently borrowed this book from my local library. I have been doing research into my Great-Uncle who was a music hall performer (Happy Tom Parker). I found the book excellent as a work of reference and it gave me a great in-sight into the world of the music hall and although it does not mention my great-uncle I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will probably end up buying it as a work of reference.
on 25 November 2005
Reading Richard Anthony Baker's book, British Music-Hall: an Illustrated History is like listening to a gifted raconteur at your 'local.' The stories are spun with easy wit, and one anecdote follows another with nary a stutter.
The history of music-hall has been recalled before, especially well by Raymond Mander & Joe Mitchenson, Ernest Short, Theodore Felstead, Christopher Pulling and Michael Kilgarriff, among others, but Mr. Baker's new contribution to the genre transports the reader into fondly remembered halls to witness a succession of stars reprising their more famous turns.
Side bars of vital statistics, song lyrics and photos of most of the performers add to the considerable amount of information spiced by Mr. Baker's breezy and gossipy charm.
Frank Cullen
American Vaudeville Museum
& Vaudeville Times quarterly
on 18 December 2014
Very good but ore illustrations needed
on 23 August 2014
Very informative and easy to read.
on 21 January 2016
Very interesting,well presented.
on 31 January 2017
I am researching Music Hall history re my local music halls and this is invaluable.
on 25 July 2016
excellent read thanks
on 3 August 2015
Arrived quickly and looks to e a good read