Customer reviews

on 19 October 2014
Every aspect of this wonderful author is covered in depth. He has his eye very much on the young market, getting down with the kids at times, but, no s***, a great commentary, innit?
on 11 March 2015
easily ordered,quickly delivered, right book.excellent
on 27 November 2013
I wrongly read the title of this book, thinking it was 'Tacitus Anals', which as you could imagine made me rather excited to read this book. When I received it, I was slightly disappointed not only by the misleading title, but also because of the lack of pop-up pictures which would have made this a much more riveting read. I have to add that I thoroughly enjoyed the book as I really connected with the character Pythagoras on a personal level, as I too am stimulated by finding the hypotenuse of right-angled triangles. If this book was to be made into a film I would cast Jeremy Irons as Nero, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Pythagoras, cast Warrick Davies as Paetus with the hope of Morgan Freeman annotating some of the style which Owen has analysed so brilliantly well (I loved his understanding of the derogatory 'iste' which has finally helped me to understand the use of this word on a much deeper level).

I did encounter another problem however, as there was no warning on the cover that said it was water proof or fire proof - I would have at least expected it to be rip-proof seeing as I paid quite a considerable amount for what is essentially a stack of paper. Nonetheless, Owen and Gildenhard provide a story which is full of excitement, love, aggression, drama and literal brilliance which would make a brilliant stocking filler for anyone who wants to analyse Latin (although why anyone would want to do this further than GCSE level is beyond me).

Also, this book is great for barbecues as the pages provide a rich, natural smoke which enhances the flavour of any meat which you may choose to cook.

In conclusion, this is a brilliant text, one which everyone should read and surpasses the likes of Orwell and Fitzgerald in every manner.
on 17 February 2015
Just as expected and wanted