on 29 July 2015
I was recommended this by a friend & I now know why...fantastic, down-to-earth yet totally inspiring. This book discusses real, raw ways to be God's child in your community for this stage of life. It's certainly not trite nor idealistic, but also helps you see opportunities.
on 16 November 2013
For Christian mums who want some encouragement and a challenge to persevere with mission in a natural every day manner, this will be right up your street. I really enjoyed the way Anna and Joy write. It was humorous and helpful. I also loved picking up little tips here and there from the stories included.
on 14 October 2014
Love this book, it's so encouraging, affirming and inspiring! I'd encourage any Christian Mum who loves their kids and also wants to make a difference in the world around them to buy it-you won't be disappointed.
on 21 February 2016
Great book - thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend. Can't wait for the next book for when you're kids are 10 and 12.
on 4 December 2013
Love the title - so true. This is a highly readable and practical book and I loved some of the ideas. Thanks!
on 25 October 2013
I loved the mix of testimony and biblical truths in this lovely book. It reaches out to Mums who both work and those like me who look after the home and I think you could relate to it whether your kids were little or big.

Its inspired me to have a bit more faith that God has great plans for this season for my life and I would recommend this book to any Christian Mum longing to see God move in the season of raising a family
on 2 December 2015
I'm reading this book with a prayer group, and finding it a mixed bag. At times there are sections which are spot on for mothers like us - but the underlying theme of mission is presented in a contradictory way. Sometimes it's about being Christ-like in the world, and other times it's about having the right kind of conversations with people all the time.

At one point the same chapter talks about not making friends just to evangelise people - and then goes on at once to talk about the need to have Significant and Meaningful conversations and use every friendship as a route for evangelism. Overall, although there is good stuff here, I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to anyone - I think it's just too full of pressure.

It would be helpful, perhaps, if there was something early on which set out the authors' feelings about mission clearly - what it is, why they feel we should do it - and if that definition was stuck to consistently for the whole book.
on 1 September 2014
This is a must read for all Christians whatever stage of life they are at. Single, married, or divorced. It's pages speak to us all about the practicalities of mission in the modern world. The writers are open and honest of their own struggles with this topic which adds greatly to its credibility.
on 6 August 2014
“I wanted to change the world, but I couldn’t find a babysitter.”

This book is written for mums who want to play an active part in the mission of God, who were perhaps formerly active members of their local church, or doing amazing things for God in the public sphere, and making a difference in their community, but now find themselves covered in baby sick and battling sleepless nights, knowing that parenthood in itself is meaningful, but longing still to be doing more than just mopping up pureed carrot and changing the sixth dirty nappy of the day.

I loved Anna France-Williams’ first book, Soul Food for Mums, and I recommend it to every new mother I know, but for some reason I hesitated before reading this one. I hesitated because I feared that it would be a guilt trip, (‘think you’re busy with motherhood? You should get on with saving the world as well!’) but I needn’t have feared, nor hesitated. because it is emphatically not a guilt trip.

Its premise is that mission can be done in the everyday, and that a spiritually and emotionally healthy family can be missional in itself. Therefore, all mission springs from ensuring that you yourself are adequately supported. I’m really passionate about this, because I think in our church culture today, mothers are often languishing on the edge of things, battling with sleep deprivation, hidden emotional or physical struggles, and feeling they cannot complain or ask for help, because they are the ones who should be providing for their children, not receiving help.

This book gives really creative, practical suggestions of how to support yourself and your family, to be fed spiritually and emotionally, so that you have a well to draw from. It is about including children in a missional life, not waiting for them to grow up so that you can get back to your calling. It contains a refreshing variety of mothers and family situations, and I loved the way that it emphasised mission even in the midst of brokenness, and the ways that God’s grace is evident in messy situations. Where this book really shines is in the variety of testimonies, and the gentle ways it presents creative and radical ideas for involvement in community life and changing the world.

There is some real gold in the practical ideas it provides (I really want to get me a Life Village now), and I also found it affirming of little things that I was already doing, that could be described as missional. If you are a mother (although really, it would probably benefit both parents) who wants to live your life distinctively, feeling guilty that you’re not ‘doing anything’ for the gospel or kingdom other than looking after your children, and feeling left behind when others talk about the amazing things they’re doing for God, then this is the book for you.
on 16 May 2017
When I had my eldest son I took 6 weeks maternity leave, and when I started back at work (as a church leader) with a 4 week old baby this book saved my life. Or my sanity, or something. It’s really down to earth, written by women who understand my paradigm, who get the women in ministry thing, who want to change the world and not be limited in that by kids, not relegated to the kids corner. It’s full of practical tips, spiritual wisdom, guest chapters from mums who are a few steps ahead on the journey. It was an accessible read, I managed to gorge my way through it during middle of the night feedings with my eyes held open with match sticks. It continues to shape how I juggle 2 churches and 2 kids, and help me hold a healthy balance between the things I love most and also feel the most guilt about. I’ve bought this heaps of times because I keep giving it away and needing it again before it is returned. It’s a great baby shower gift too!