Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 March 2016
Simon Hoggart was the best ! Only he could de-construct the pompous wind-baggery that is politics, and he did it like a skilled surgeon. Sadly missed, but his writings leave a rich legacy of wit. This book is a fine introduction to his work.
on 11 November 2014
I enjoyed reading this book which is a compilation of the author's daily political sketches over the last two decades or so. He provides a very amusing insight into the antics of the people we have voted to represent us in Parliament; some of his comments made me wonder how some MPs managed to be elected and continued to be an MP. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the proceedings in both houses of Parliament but with the proviso that the comments are written in a very humorous way.
on 4 August 2015
There is more than a touch of 'MADNESS' in this book. If BBC ever plan to produce another series of 'Yes, Minister', Simon should be asked to write the script. On a more serious note -- are these guys governing us??
on 13 November 2014
I found myself laughing out loud and was congratulating myself on purchasing this book only to remember that this was only page one! Humour can be the greatest weapon and in the hands of a wordsmith like Simon Hoggart: devastating. I do not do platitudes but he could be a national treasure!
on 12 April 2015
A great wit, sadly missed. His insights reveal those who serve (themselves) in the houses of parliament for what they really are. Can't quite work out why Tony Benn loathed him, as I admired them both.
on 24 March 2014
A very enjoyable read--- some insights, a lot of humour (occasionally rather clunky) and a splendid antidote to our masters sense of their own grandeur. I did tend to skip over some pieces but because the sections are short, I didn't feel I was losing very much.
on 17 September 2015
THE REAL HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT...
ON QUEER SQUARE

In the Houses of Parliament,
there are some queer folk,
all they do is nod their heads,
and talk a very good talk!
The Houses of Parliament
is corrupt - they seem to like
their work,
But every time it shows them
on TV - all they do is shirk!

They're tapping on their
tablets as though they are all
bored,
They turn up in their suits -
and even get full board!
They claim their expenses,
like any other person,
But not like me and you -
they don't have any good
reason!

The Houses of Parliament,
is know for its diversity,
Every one in there - has ben
to university!
They employ all their relatives -
and keep it in the family,
They pay them cash in the
hand - dodging the tax man
superbly!

The Houses of Parliament -
as a history of such slender,
You can yourself join this
club - but one has to be a
bender!
exclusive - and it attracts
lots of willies!!!!

The Houses of shame - is
were the MPs all gather,
Fiddling more of their cash -
they're all in it together!!!!
Lord Gay, meet Lord Bender,
whatever has gone wrong?
Everyone has got a title -
watch out for a song!!!!

The Houses of Parliament,
is the home on Queer Square,
Where all the MPs congregate -
lurking in their lair!!
So may I welcome - a special
guest so new,
His name is Sir Guy Fawkes -
he's returned just for you!

He will now clean up this
place - and then he'll be a
knight.
He's set to blow the lot up -
to the cheering crowd's
delight.
The Houses of the Parliament,
is finally laid to rest,
Goodbye to the Parliament on
Queer Square, now we feel
such zest!!!!

A new day has now dawned
as all the UK is free.
Freedom from these parasites,
is happiness to you and me.
The Houses are no more - as
history is now made,
But why do all gay MPs - like
their carpet laid!!!!

BY
DARRYL ASHTON
on 6 July 2013
I've been reading Mr. Hoggart for donkeys' years in the Guardian, so it was good to be able to read a retrospective. Surprisingly, I could remember the historical context for most of it, bot Mr. H provides succinct intros to each piece. His wit has not diminished, rather, it has matured over the years. Strongly recommended.
on 30 August 2013
I love Simon Hoggart's writing but have been rib tickled beyond delight by this collection of his accounts of parliament. I will never look at a 'My Little Pony' in the same way again. Splendid!
on 27 June 2013
I just couldn't stop laughing out loud all throughout this book even though I had already read most of the articles. Absolutely worth every penny to cheer up a grey day.