Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2017
Great story within the guildwars lore, would highly recommend to anyone wanting to find out more of what happened before the events of guildwars 2
on 2 March 2017
Only just started really but it seems well written. Good to explore the lore.
on 1 June 2017
Good storytelling, quite some suspense and action in there, definitely takes you to the Guild Wars universe. It's a nice read even for adult fans of the GW franchise.
on 29 April 2017
I'm not one for actually reading but this book got me hooked with the first chapter. Completely enjoyed it :)
on 12 April 2012
A worthy attempt at translating the Guild Wars setting into a narrative, but there's little to disguise the fact that you're reading the book of a video game rather than a commendable work of fiction in its own right. Certainly it's a good read for enthusiasts looking to build up a more comprehensive understanding of the lore but in truth the book's not much better than fan fiction in parts and it wouldn't be overly critical to say this doesn't belong among stand-alone fantasy as it really isn't something you'd read instead of more established fantasy writers' works.

Something to kill the hours until the game's release, at least, but don't expect anything more than that.
I bought this book as I am a huge fan of Guild Wars.

To be honest I was not expecting it to be particularly good but I still had to have it. As it turned out, this was a surprisingly good read.

The story is a simple linear action driven plot that can be safely and easily read by the 12+ target age group of the Guild Wars games. In fact the authors have done a very nice job of making the book both accessible to the younger reader and still exciting enough for an adult.

Fans of the games will know that there is a gap of 250 years between the settings for the original Guild Wars game and Guild Wars 2.

This story is set in that inbetween period and does a very good job of filling in the lore that happens in this time. The original Guild Wars races are all featured, along with the new and enigmatic plant-like race known as the Sylvari. There are also plently of teasers about what we might see in Guild Wars 2.

Game lore is not important to everyone who plays the game, but for me the lore of Guild Wars is what makes the game special and this book adds to that lore very nicely.

I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series.
on 31 July 2010
Having waited, fingers twitching in anticipation, to get my hands on this book, I can honestly say it was MORE than worth it. I read this book cover-to-cover in one go, completely unable to put it down due to being totally hooked on it from the moment in chapter one where a certain Sylvari's little walking creation goes "BOOM". The humour of that moment, like many others throughout the story, are the perfect contrast to seriousness of the overall plot.

This is a definite must have, be you a Guild Wars player or just a fan of the fantasy genre... although I can certainly say that Guild Wars players will get the biggest kick out of the many little "inside jokes" regarding the personalities of the various Races.

...Now will I be off to go poke around (uninvited) in a cranky Asura's lab, or shall I go challenge a Norn at the local tavern to a race at the next Alemoot? Hehehehehehe.
on 29 August 2010
I quite enjoyed this book, it featured characters, lore and rpg-goodness for all those interested in the Guild Wars world.
My only issue is that it ended somewhat abruptly.
on 23 April 2012
Although it is technically the first book in the series, the events it covers come after those in Edge of Destiny, and it does reference parts of that book at times. Plot wise I think that it is really quite solid, and by the end of the book I felt as if I had personally gone on the journey with the adventurers themselves. If action's more your thing I can say that this book has plenty in it through out, although, if you're here hoping for more Guild Wars 2 lore, you'll probably find yourself a bit disappointed.

All in all, a good book for the price, in my opinion
on 2 January 2013
I've read a couple of heavy fantasy books in my time, if you're looking for intense description, it's not here, the book gives you enough to get by on, but if you've played the games you can add to this pretty easily, especially if you've played one of the branches of storyline.

It's one of those books that you can breeze through, without having to jump about from location to location, as it covers the adventures of the same characters for the entirety of the book and this makes it perfect for learning the lore as you go along. For a book this short with the plot set in stone the character development is adequate and the only thing I would of liked is a bit more detail at the end, as it suddenly felt a bit rushed.

Buy for an easy read with a likeable cast of characters, an enjoyable adventure and a lesson in lore.