Customer reviews

The Spook's Nightmare: Book 7 (The Wardstone Chronicles)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2017
I really enjoyed reading this book and it is one of the best books I have ever read. It is really well worded and the plot is extremely good.

In this book bony Lizzie ,the witch, returns,and she has become even more powerful . She is very dangerous and is a threat to the world. However,Tom ward's master, Mr Gregory, is growing older and is struggling to fight her , so Tom and Alice,the good witch and tom's best friend(she is also the daughter of bony Lizzie and the devil),are left to defeat her alone, along with some help from other people.Once again,Alice saves everyone's life.

Overall I would really recommend this book to ages 10+. It is very spooky and I could not put it down. I especially liked the ending. This is such a great book and is really worth the money.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 June 2010
THE SPOOK'S NIGHTMARE is the seventh book in the Wardstone Chronicles and like all the rest, the pace continues at breakneck speed. In this installment, we see the destruction of the Spook's house, but more importantly, the destruction of his precious books. We also see a brand new enemy - the buggane. But along with the new there is also plenty of the old; Bony Lizzie the blood and bone witch plays a big part in this story.

What I continue to love about this series is that Delaney blurs the boundaries of good and evil. But in this particular book, Delaney takes it further by suggesting that the Spook's powers may be waning. Tom has to begin contemplating the inevitable transition from apprentice to Spook and his link to the dark would make for a fascinating counterpoint to his current master. But, I don't want to give too much away so that is all I will say.

If you have enjoyed the rest of this fantastic series, I'm sure you'll need little persuasion to pick up this book. If you are new to them, what are you waiting for?! THE SPOOK'S APPRENTICE is the first one; go get it!
on 4 February 2011
I am in my late 40s and started reading the spooks books when my young nephew loaned my the first one,The Spooks Apprentice. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have since bought all of them including Witches. This was like all the others really entertaining to read. Mr Delaney manages to keep the reader gripped with the story right to the end of the book. This is a little darker than the previous one,The Spooks Sacrifice, as seems to be the case with each book.I have pre-ordered The Spooks Destiny and am looking forward to finding out where this journey will lead Tom Ward next.If this is the first Spooks book you have read I highly recommend getting the others and reading them in sequence you learn as Tom learns about all the dark creatures etc and get the enjoyment without any danger.Like the reveiws say 'for those who have outgrown Harry Potter' I wholly agree.
on 17 January 2011
This series is very entertaining and well written. I am happy I caught this one special collected edition but very frustrated having missed on The Spook's Sacrifice special edition, which seemed very limited indeed since it disappeared from sale as soon as it was announced. I should hope that it is relaunched eventually instead of feeding the greed of speculators peddling the book for £200 or £300 a piece just weeks after it sold normally on the bookstores!
on 24 March 2013
I have bought all the books in the set so far. I originally bought these for my son when aged 13 as he liked all things spookey. I read them myself and got hooked. If you want something more spookey than Harry Potter then give these books a go. Suitable for boys and girls alike who like something out of ordinary. By the way I am a 57 year old female but these books are well written.
on 8 March 2018
Wonderful book! fast delivery! Packaged Well! Brilliant!
on 14 February 2017
Love the series as a whole and this is the best book of the series. Really good story with good characters and really easy to get immersed in the story. Well worth the money
on 9 November 2017
My son loves these books
on 2 February 2011
This is the Genuine UK release of the book and i must say the best, the stories are a real treat i happen to have all of them in Hardback and so now becomes a real collectors item, the U.S. editions are slightly different but not much but i do think they are a bit shabby looking compared to the UK editions, so don't be mislead buy the UK editions everytime.
on 5 October 2015
The action is developing from book to book. Tom Ward is getting older and it's visible that his apprenticeship is more mature. The adventures they are facing are increasingly more dramatic and dangerous.