Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2013
I can't believe I'm the first person to write a review for this book - it's a revelation, and a breath of fresh air. I'm a jazz musician with an interest in psychology (and lots of other topics), but when I read a lot of the material written in psychology books I groan at a lot of the research cited as being of great importance, and some of the less cited psychology material makes me simply cringe. If you are like me, when you read this book you'll breath a sigh of relief if you thought that 'the great psychologist John B. Watson' - who 'demonstrated' that classical conditioning could be extended to humans - didn't actually demonstrate anything at all, apart from demonstrating that he was capable of extreme cruelty in the quest to prove to the world how great he was. This book undresses some of psychology's self-proving efforts, and exposes some of the very dodgy material in a wonderful tongue-in-cheek style that makes you chuckle with every page you read.

I'd better qualify this by making it clear that a lot of the research conducted in psychology is indeed of great value. (I'd get lynched if I didn't say that).

Here is the book I wanted to find. Full of facts, very cheeky, and great reading. If you haven't read much psychology it'll still be easy to follow, but if you're already fairly well versed in the subject this is a 'must read'. I kid you not!
on 4 November 2015
Very interesting and eye-opening introduction to psychology. Easy to read, hard to put down and covers both the well known psychologists & various theories in a witty and enthralling manner. Recommended to anyone with even a passing interest in psychology or its concepts in people, movies and books, etc.
on 22 October 2015
I enjoyed this book, as it gave a brief overview of some of the theory and people that have created what we know nowadays as psychology. It seems a complicated journey, but books such as these make you want to explore some of the concepts mentioned further. The book makes no earth shattering claims to throw light on different concepts, but just to explain the theory or the history of the person-the main figure heads in the world of psychology-and their pluses and minuses. This book is a good introduction for someone that wants to develop and expand their knowledge further in the world of psychology, or even someone who wants to undertake this subject for further study, though it does seem to me a subject that is both complex and complicated, and that there never seems to be a right or wrong answer to many of the theories that are expanded in this very slim volume. Good and interesting read.
on 19 May 2015
Loved it. It's more like a short but very descriptive introduction to psychological conditions. Would recommend the seller as well.
on 11 February 2015
bought as a xmas present. good read by all accounts
on 31 March 2015
Good fun for psychology student!
on 16 December 2014