on 18 March 2017
I was excited when I saw this book on Amazon and couldn't wait to read it. I'm half way though and like so many reviewers before me I'm disappointed. I was hoping for more details on his life, he does mention finding out by accident that he was adopted and that he went looking for his extended family which didn't end very well. I would have liked more information on how Alastair Sim influenced his career and helped him develop as an actor, but the man that by other accounts was a father figure to him barely gets a mention. His first marriage is only mentioned in brief at the start and he states that his first family won't be mentioned again. If they have requested to be left out of the book then fair enough all he had to do was say that. If you want to know what film/play he was in, when and who with then this is the book for you but if you want a book about his life, I suggest you look elsewhere.
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2016
This is pretty poor stuff, as there is very little left once you remove the overlong descriptions of plots and the details of productions. We are told at the start that there will be nothing about Cole's first marriage, which extends to the children of that marriage (we know there were two), and we are not told what became of them. The chapter on Minder is a ludicrous 50 pages, including endless descriptions of individual episodes; I've never actually seen it, and my enthusiasm wasn't kindled. There's very little about the man himself, who comes across as a cold bore. Throw the book away and stick to the filmss.
on 17 January 2015
Good read.
on 25 August 2014
All good cheers..
on 2 January 2014
Like many others who have rated this book poorly I really wanted to enjoy this book and learn a little more about an actor who remains enigmatically aloof from the media.
I felt the book was poorly written, with many repetitions within the same chapter, and was extremely patronising (clearly the ghost is hoping for overseas sales) in that many English place names and colloquialisms had to be laboriously explained.
I was left with the impression that an intensely private man had little desire or interest in sharing his public life with his many fans, and had been cajoled by avaricious publishers into putting his name to a book that does not feel worthy of him.
on 5 December 2013
If you love this actor and you love autobiographies, then this is a must for contains a great selection of stories and anecdotes.
on 27 December 2013
In this era of 'celebrity' I tend to stay clear of autobiographies because there are far to many people who think they have something to tell us within minutes of being weaned onto solid food. With all that George Cole has achieved in his career I thought this was worth a punt and so downloaded the Kindle version.

To be fair you can actually hear George telling the story but from the outset it was clear that this book needed a firmer hand on the editing as you would frequently read something and then effectively re-read it in a different form in the next paragraph.

The book takes a fairly chronological approach to George's career and, while he repeatedly explains he's a private person, I did expect him to reveal more about himself than the few anecdotes scattered through what is little more than a list of the plays/films/shows he's been in. I couldn't quite work out the anomaly of the way he more or less reveals that Alistair Sim was pretty tight with money and often showed an unpleasant streak and yet at the same time retains a massive affection for his unofficial stepfather. It gets a bit more interesting during the Minder years but, for most of the people reading this book, there is little that is uncovered that isn't already in the public knowledge.

What really grates, though, is how soon the story comes to an end. The Kindle edition stops 67% of the way through the book leaving more than a quarter of the book dedicated to a list of George's appearances (which could easily have been obtained from Google).

The world may have been George's lobster but this book offers only the body and does not deliver the claws which, as anyone who has eaten lobster will know, are the tastiest bits...
on 22 December 2013
I was really looking forward to this - 70 years in the business - must be brim full of anecdotes I thought but no. This is an autobiography which plods along and reads like a bibliography. I respect George's rights to privacy but if you are going to charge for your life story you owe the reader a duty to at least let a few interesting tidbits out about yourself. The actual book (kindle edition)ends at 66% (thankfully) the rest is an extensive film and play list which in truth you can get from the net. Unless you are desperate for an autobiography I would suggest almost anything else.
on 20 November 2013
If you want to read a long list of the plays, films and TV shows George Cole has been in then read this book. Or you could save your money and read his Wickapedia page! This is a very dull book without any interesting or insightful storys. How someone can be in the industry this many years without having anything funny or revealing to say beats me. Even his Minder reminisces are dry and boring. There are no revealing or candid comments about fellow stars, living or dead. Avoid, unless you want an aid to a good nights sleep!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 January 2014
George Cole is clearly a delightful, charming and decent man. This comes through, throughout the book and it is enlightening to hear how much he packed in to a tremendous career.

What is disappointing is the lack of detail about his personal life - I was hoping for more anecdotes, details and emotion to share with us. This would have broken up and punctuated the bread and butter career events - a great example of this is Leslie Philip's autobiography which balances life and work beautifully throughout.

Nevertheless, thank you for giving us a window on your world George; you are clearly a private man and gave us as much as you were prepared to share.