on 19 April 2016
This was bought for a friend with the intention of it being basically a coffee-table book for her to glance at occasionally. An hour after she unwrapped it, there were 5 of us still crowded round the book reading the letters with awe. Each page takes you to a different point in time, with letters between people I had never connected in my head. Having the actual letters copied there on the page (rather than just a typed version) is a lovely touch - there is just something surreal about seeing a scone recipe written by the Queen!

Truly fascinating read, and I am very tempted to buy more copies (both as gifts and one for myself!). I cannot recommend this highly enough - definitely consider this if you are stuck for gift ideas!
on 18 February 2017
This was the third copy I've bought as I keep giving it away to people! One of those coffee table books that you can open up on any page and enjoy, work your way through slow or fast, systematically or at random; a wonderful insight into past known and unknown figures. Everyone should own a copy.
on 21 February 2016
Many fascinating letters in here and look forward to getting volume two. Shame about the cover - rather pedestrian and does not do justice to the jewels within the pages inside
on 22 March 2016
This collection of letters is absolutely wonderful. The letters that particularly grabbed me were those by Henry James and Flannery O'Connor. Shocking, enlightening, amazing.
on 29 March 2017
A beautiful book full of interesting letters (for various reasons)

Some of these had me crying (sadness and laughter!)

Very well presented and perfect for dipping in to

Very well received as a gift
on 19 July 2017
Seriously addictive, some great letters in here. I bought it to pick up now and again but it's very sticky in my hands so I can't easily put it down.
on 19 December 2016
Excellent
on 16 February 2014
This is a fantastic and balanced selection of letters, some important, some moving and some amusing, some all three. A lovely book to dip into and good for a gift. Visually, I think it could be improved on. I don't think it needs so many facsimiles of the letters, a few would suffice.
on 5 July 2017
Incredible book - bought as a gift but I want one for me!
on 24 May 2017
bought as gift, they love it~