Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2017
Read this for book club and it was a surprise. It's set in the Scottish highlands and it felt very rooted in normality for that reason. And yet, Isserley is a strange other-worldly character. A female driver trawling to pick up male hitchhikers on the A9, she is portrayed through her own thoughts and descriptions and the impressions of the people she picks up. We learn from her that she has pain in her back and joints and needs to exercise regularly to ease the pain. She wears incredibly thick glasses and has difficulty seeing through them because they are only for show. From those that travel in her car, we learn that she has enormous cleavage which seems disproportionate to the rest of her. We don't know what happens to the men she picks up but we gradually realise that hitching a lift from Isserley is a one-way ticket. About halfway through the book, we realise there is an investigation into the missing young men in the highlands of Scotland whom Isserley picked up. How will it all end?
on 4 January 2017
Score 8.6/10
Comments: "Gripping and gross in equal measure" "Such an interesting premise, and brilliant characters; I loved the way the story unfolded. A very memorable and thought-provoking read (but a cruddy film)" "It horrified me" "Very imaginative and quite haunting"
on 9 June 2016
I very much enjoyed reading this book, it's well written and I enjoyed the story. I love that it takes you by surprise and keeps you slightly off balance throughout, and I found myself constantly thinking of the characters journey and seeing our world through her eyes. Very interesting and good read.
on 10 August 2015
As others have mentioned, this is an unusual book. The plot is not immediately apparent, rather it is unveiled and in doing so I found my feelings about the main protagonist see-sawing. It's not a fast paced read, and all the better for that. I took my time over it, reading other work in between, but found it occupying my mind quite often.
I was never certain where the plot was heading, enjoying tantalising glimpses of what might be. To say more would ruin it for anyone thinking of reading it. It's a book I would certainly recommend, but know it won't be to everyone's taste. I am glad I read it and consider myself entranced by the author's storytelling skill enough to seek out his other books.
on 15 August 2016
An extraordinary book - which was completely ignored for the film starring Scarlet Johanssen. The film is good, but the book is far better: far more disturbing and original.
on 17 August 2016
Awesome read, and genuinely disturbing. I loved the film and saw it three times at the flicks, and as is often the case the book is
The real deal! Quite amazing, a cult classic!
on 23 January 2017
Thought provoking book that you will remember! Watched the film, which was nothing like the book..
on 9 September 2016
Brilliant book from a trusted and reliable seller - really great service. I bought this after watching the film of the same name with Scarlett Johansen in the lead role. There were a few differences between the film and the book, but that didn't matter - both are excellent. Couldn't put this down and read it very very quickly.
on 13 June 2017
This is a bonkers story, but very imaginative and very engrossing - but it's not nearly as bonkers as the film "adaptation". My only gripe is that I really wanted to read and learn more about these mysterious visitors, at the end it felt a little bit like a short story, as the plot could have gone a lot further.
on 13 June 2014
Fantastic writing from a master at the art of creating superb sentences, put together to form a gripping, startling narrative. In short, he knows how to write. Not only that, he writes a different book every time, not just rewriting basically the same book, but creating afresh whilst retaining his own enviable style. If you've seen the film - which I liked - this will be better and far more finely nuanced...the advantage a novelist has over a film maker.