on 11 October 2013
Author should have spell checked and grammar proofed the book before sending to publishers. Some sentences dont even make sense.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2014
Ledley could have been one of the greatest players for club and country in the last 50 years. Tragically, coping with constant injury, his career was not as fulfilling or as long as it should have been. This book mirrors his career. It is enjoyable but I can't help feeling it could have been so much better and a bit longer.

Time passes in a series of vignettes but one season tends to merge very quickly with another. Players come and go with little if any comment and those that are mentioned are all "good lads". For example, there is virtually no mention of the efforts of Berbatov and Modric to secure transfers and then it is mainly sympathetic. Only Stephane Dalmat receives anything approaching criticism, rather an easy and obvious target. Similarly, we learn almost nothing about the widely differing types of managers that Ledley worked under. Only Ramos receives any real negativity and even then it only hints at the problems with any detail being reserved for minor issues with the players diets - the players reaction to Ramos' sacking was to take out the bags of sweets hidden in their kit bags!

Ledley comes across as a really nice person and it is no surprise that the nearest we get to any criticism is of his own behaviour on a few publicly drunken escapades. Ledley is still one of my favourite players in the 45 years I've been watching Spurs and I've no doubt that this book reflects his personality but an awful lot happened at Spurs during Ledley's time and I think Mat Snow could have helped him produce a more interesting reflection of that career.
on 18 January 2016
Not sure why I didn't buy this sooner. I was fortunate enough to see an excerpt from a chapter on Twitter which was really insightful and articulate so I decided to invest in the book. While it would have been nice for some events to have had a bit more depth and explanation (specifically the defection of then-club captain Sol Campbell to Arsenal along with the Lasagne-gate incident which cost the team Champions' League Football - both of which don't receive a huge amount of attention in the book) overall it is a fascinating and thoughtful book.

I would recommend any Spurs fan to pick this up as soon as possible, and I would also say that a lot of neutrals would enjoy Ledley's insight into how different coaches work and how different things can impact the mental state and subsequently the performance of players.
on 1 February 2014
Sorry Ledley, I've been a Spurs fan for 30 years and while I honestly appreciate and sympathise with the injury hell you went through it doesn't excuse such a poor seemingly rushed book.

Lesley"s memory is seemingly patchy (first rule of becoming a sports star = keep a diary!) which means details of events are often glossed over or left out. Rounds of cup competitions are often omitted meaning the significance of the game is missed. I don't recall any mention as to Ledley's love life apart from an ex mentioned in passing.

A page does not go by without a reference to his injuries - I know, what else can he talk about right? This makes the book tedious and repetitive and as a reader I tended to gloss over while reading this.

I gave this a two star rating as I couldn't bring myself in joining the Gooner giving it a one. Not recommended even for the biggest Spurs fan.
on 7 November 2013
The book is an honest account of a young man's life from being young and having a dream to eventually fulfilling his dream but suffering pain and heartache along the way.
I'm sure the book could have given more details of dressing room banter and pranks which would have injected some humour, without detracting from the main story, and I feel this would have made the book even more enjoyable.
Also, I think Ledley under-plays the pain and stress he must have gone through during his injury plagued career whilst still striving to be the best player he could be. Whilst it is a theme which runs through the book I don't think you get enough insight in to how much injuries and the struggle to get fit again affect players and their families.
A good read but I still felt there could have been more when I reached the end.
on 21 December 2013
delivery good but i bought this for a friend for christmas and i am a gooner so i naturally don't give a damn about the book
on 13 October 2013
Every Spurs fan should read this book. Ledley is a true Spurs great.

Sad to read what could have been for him.
on 26 May 2014
As a lifelong Spurs fan felt I must read this book about Ledley and his career at Spurs. The book contained the usual chapters, growing up in London, starting at Spurs and so on. However, I really wanted it to go deeper. Which players did he respect and get on with, what about the different managers and the chairman and the actual club.
The book was just very very bland. Nothing contained inside I wasn't aware of.
I do feel guilty about being so honest, Ledley you are still the King.
on 27 October 2013
I had been looking forward to this book as I am a great admirer of Ledley's footballing abilities. I found the book slow to start with but it got better as it went on and got to the football memories. However it never got to the stage where I could not put it down or kept reading into the early hours. I did not feel at the end of the book that I knew a lot more about him than when I began.
on 19 January 2014
True legend, great book containing season by season reviews and tales aswell as england stories and players and managers past and present. Fantastic book by a decent human being and club legend, book is suitable for not just thfc fans but any football fans and anyone who has suffered with injuries. Nice to have an insight into Ledleys current role with the club too. No scandal in this book just a nice interesting read.