on 28 May 2013
Fantastic. A product that I can at last get my hands on and I dont have to sit quietly and turn pages. Yes folks its the Audio CD version of Showaddywaddy's Rock and Roll Nightmare Story of doing the caravan park tour of Britain. If like me it takes you ages to read a book this is a much better way to read one. Have it read to you by the author. If you havnt got time to sit with a brew and read a book you can go about your daily business and wherever you have a player (car/kitchen/other rooms/office etc) and get the lowdown on the Waddys experiences of The Caravan Park Tour. I wont spoil the story only to say its well worth the £13.34 (which I Paid)(RRP £13.99) to get the truth about what its like for an established artist to do a summer of 33 holiday camp dates. Written & Read By Author (and then lead singer - now Manager of Showaddywaddy) Dave Bartram. 240 Minutes on 3 Discs (Also includes Bonus Interview - like a DVD extra). FIVE STARS for a FIVE STAR TALE. Enjoy! ps im glad Summertime Blues (original name for the book) never surfaced as it probably woulnt have been available on Audio Disc, which as ive said is much better for me!
6 people found this helpful
on 19 October 2014
Throughout this "on tour" tale I couldn't stop myself from singing, in my head. I've always had a soft spot for Showaddywaddy and Dave Bartram in particular, so knowing I was reading his words which often mentioned their songs, I couldn't stop my feet from tapping as I mentally sang along with his distinctive voice ever clear.
Documenting a tour around some of the UK's caravan holiday sites, mostly way down in the pecking order of excellence, Dave catalogued a series of shabby, smelly and less than salubrious venues.
Their accommodation often stank, literally, and they put on shows on stages not big enough for one entertainer, let alone eight.
Amongst the rubbish sites - and I know from personal experience that they do exist - there was a smattering of decent ones but invariably what they may have gained in show space they lost on the accommodation and vice versa.
Interspersed into almost every camp site description were cameo pieces where Dave gave a mini travelogue of the surrounding area. It seemed as though his main thought, on leaving the crew to set up for their act, was the search for fresh fruit and vegetables, seriously lacking - although they were assured of a nice greasy breakfast each morning.
The book is humorous but with a few serious moments. A good mix of content and an enjoyable read.
on 12 August 2017
The first record I ever bought at 9 years old was 'Under The Moon Of Love' by Showaddywaddy, and have loved their music, and still do , catching them in concert whenever I can. This book written by Dave Bartram, the original lead singer, and current manager of the group was an excellent read. I found it hard to put down as it details a tour in 2005 around holiday caravan parks. It outlines trials and many tribulations of the group, in an entertaining and very humorous way. I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially to fans of Showaddywaddy.
on 25 May 2013
This is an abridged version to the book so I would highly recommend getting both as there are some hillarious stories in the book that aren't in the audio.

Dave writes and narrates this audio and its very funny.

Very much looking forward to Daves future books of which I hope there will be many more as his style of writing is brilliant. Both very honest and very funny.

How he was able to narrate this audio with a straight face is beyond me as its had me in stitches!

The paperback with the extra chapter in is also more than worth buying. Literally had me crying with laughter. Cannot wait for Daves next book and many more after that.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 May 2018
Good read from the lead singer of a band I have real admiration for. Too easy to read if you can call that a complaint, I would love to hear more from Dave on the trials and tribulations of a band on the road.
on 29 May 2014
Gosh, this is a cracking book. Showaddywaddy were my favourite band as a kid and, to my shame, only recently found out they are still a going concern (catch them live at one of the hundred gigs they perform a year - you won't be disappointed).

This book covers a low point for the band, performing in caravan parks around the UK where once they filled major concert venues. The book shines a light on the highs and lows. And boy, there are some lows.

But that's rock n roll, right? Staying on the road and giving it all you've got. An entertaining read.
on 17 August 2013
As a fan back in the 70s I was interested to read this but I think it would appeal to everyone. Judging by the footnotes about half the original band were still going. Jeff referred to as an original band member was confusing but he had the stage name Al James which is explained at the end. Can't understand the comments about craziness or back biting.
One person found this helpful
on 18 June 2013
I bought this after buying & finishing the hardback book which was released a few months previously. If you are considering buying either, buy the book as there is quite a lot cut out on the audio version. Spread over 3 discs, it's nice to hear Dave narrating his work, he seems to have quite a sense of humour, especially how the band have come to accept how the gigs are nowadays as compared to the crazed fan madness of the 1970's, An enjoyable listen & perfect for your holidays in the sun!
2 people found this helpful
on 19 August 2013
As much an insight into holiday camps as it is into Showaddywaddy, which makes it interesting and funny too. Dave's easy charm transfers neatly to the written page, and you his story telling pulls no punches. He is equally capable of focussing on his own failings as well as those of his band members and the holiday camp staff.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2013
A good read, a down to earth style of writting with splatters of humour to keep things moving along, a bit of swearing involved so wouldn`t let children read the book although from an adult point of view the language is only true to real life.
The discriptive nature of each camp reminded me of some of the S**tholes i`ve Rock n Rolled in over the years and can sympathise with the band & crew. I was interested enough to get past chapter one so come on Dave, get scribbling, lets have another.
2 people found this helpful