Customer reviews

Bittersweet
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2014
I loved 'The Thorn Birds' but feel nothing Colleen has written since has had the same emotional punch. However, 'Bittersweet' is a saga of dramatic content, full of Australian history during the 20's and 30's. Two sets of female twins, with the same father but different mothers, embark together on a career in nursing in New South Wales. We follow the fortunes and misfortunes of each girl and their relationships with each other and the men in their lives. The book is packed to the gunnels with so much story it is sometimes difficult to keep track of everyone. I recommend this book to all Australian readers and anyone else in the world that has an affinity with Australia.
on 5 September 2015
This was not as good as I had thought it would be, I had watched the Thorn Bird on TV years ago and thought it was very good so bought this book thinking it would be as good, it wasn't, the 4 girls, 2 sets of twins, set out to become nurses and it was all about their future but I had to make myself keep on reading, waiting for it all to happen and nothing did, just a bit boring.
on 21 March 2014
I love Colleen Mcculloughs books, ever since I read 'The Thorn Birds' as a teenager. set in Australia in the early part of the last century,This is an intriguing story of sisters who all become nurses together. The story has interesting twists and the characters are well defined. You come to know the people in the story. I was so disappointed to reach the end of this book!
on 31 May 2014
I enjoyed this book. it seemed to cover the period in Australia very well, when it was emerging out of the Empire to become a nation. I liked the family and how they went in different directions and yet had a unity as a family. Very believable and great Colleen McCulloch presentation and observation. I will give it a second read in a few months.
on 17 August 2015
First of all, it's Colleen McCullough so it has to be good. Love the story, the writing, as always from this author, is cohesive and easy to read. Well defined characters. Above all, a wonderful, well researched, enjoyable read.
on 14 March 2015
The only other Colleen McCullough book I have read was The Thorn Birds and that was many years ago! I didn't think this one was up to that but it did keep me reading until the end to see what happened to them all but I did get the feeling that they were all beautiful, clever and everything turned out well for them all.
on 18 October 2014
Took a while to like this book and know the characters. I so loved the Thorn Birds so at first I was disappointed, but I am glad I continued. It is well written and I loved the way the author wove her characters and their lives together. The sisters have a strong bond even though their lives take such different paths. Would recommend
on 15 March 2015
A joy to read. This book was wonderful. It follows the lives of four sisters in 1920s Australia - Each one different but always close, always fascinating. It paints a picture of those turbulent and changing times. I didn't want it to end and enjoyed it so much I bought the printed copy for my sister!
on 20 February 2014
A most refreshing story of family loyalties. The bonds inextricably linked with ambitions so widely diverse that the very detailed description of the setting almost overwhelmed the reader. Never a predictable story so interest was maintained throughout really enjoyable.
on 21 March 2014
For me another great book by Colleen McCullough. A story of sisters, their family and the way their lives developed in Australia of 1930's onwards. The author writes so vividly of life in Australia that their is much to learn as well as a great tale to enjoy. Hard to put it down!