on 27 August 2013
I think I have learnt more about France and the French by reading this book than I did in ten years of studying French at school or from numerous trips to Paris. From the origin of bidets (and what they are for) to whether French women shave to whether France is really an egalitarian society, the writer identifies the "facts" you thought you knew, and then examines the reality in a witty, informative and hugely-enjoyable style. I have already recommended it to my Francophile (and French!) friends.
on 22 October 2013
An up-to-date and mostly accurate view of our neighbours, except for an erroneous statement on page 206, claiming that only
"hundreds of Frenchmen joined the Resistance", when it is clearly established that thousands of Frenchmen AND women were members, with thousands deported and massacred by the Nazis!
on 14 October 2014
This book makes a perfect present for anyone interested in the French way of life. Very good value.
on 3 April 2013
Very funny sample chapter... fascinating and informative, I have lots of interesting facts to share on the French and their apparent love of horse meat. I'm looking forward to reading more about French ways in the whole book soon!
on 18 May 2014
Being a francophne I was very tempted by the title, but I was very disappointed by the book, I found it very tedious and frankly
boring. It lacked the humour that the title suggested.
on 19 February 2014
Ourd friend's birthday has not yet occurred, so we can't do justice to it, brut as he is not a Francophile, we'd have no doubt he will bed delighted with it!
on 9 December 2014
Better off with Steven Clarkes Talk to the Snail or indeed any one of his French Trilogy if you want to know the real Parisian France.
on 11 April 2013
A very well researched, interesting, beautifully written, clever and funny insight into the culinary habits and associated politics of our neighbours from over the water. I greatly enjoyed this taste of what promises to be a chef d'ouvre of a book when released in August. This author writes with skill and panache and I am sure we shall see more from her in the future. One to watch!
on 25 March 2013
As an English person living in France, you hear a lot of 'facts' about the French. This chapter on horsemeat was packed with lots of interesting information backed up by actual statistical data from offical sources. I can't wait to hear what the author has to say about thin French women and their beautifully behaved children!
on 23 August 2013
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go to the opposite end of the review spectrum to those who have already rated this.

I loathed this book.

The construction of the narrative, the statistics, endless data and the occasional glimpse of a patronising tone made me think of a school text book.

I am rather amused by the irony between author's task of debunking myths about the French as portrayed in so many other "popular" books.... and then sanctioning the same kind of cover and typeface on the cover that these books also use.

Ah well - c'est la vie.