Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 September 2014
"'One must always consider all the possibilities,' he said. `However, I have sufficient intimate knowledge of my actions to enable me to discount myself as the guilty party with a reasonable degree of confidence.'"

This is the second in the Gower Street Detective series (the first being The Mangle Street Murders) and I would like to sincerely and earnestly request that the author hurry up and write lots more, because I am now addicted to this series. There is a unique yet wonderfully familiar feel to these books, and the second in the series is just that bit stronger even than the first.

In this story March Middleton is living with her guardian the famous (or infamous) personal (not private) detective Sidney Grice. It is now 1882, and since the rather public debacle that surrounded some of the issues in the previous book Sidney is now finding a lack of business coming his way. Then, one day a man by the name of Horatio Green comes to call. He is a member of a Final Death Society, the last member of which Society stands to gain in the event of the others dying before him or her. One of the members of the Society has died, and under the terms of the Agreement, Sidney Grice is to investigate his passing. But then Horatio dies, rather inconveniently, on the floor of Grice's study.

Sidney Grice is, if at all possible, even more objectionable in his manner and manners than he was in the first book. He is horribly rude to everybody, even March, and especially Molly, the rather muddleheaded maid of the household. But March is also blunt and rather unladylike, and the two of them seem to manage to avoid murdering each other just sufficiently to get on and solve the mysteries that seem to follow them around. There are a number of deaths in this book, and I was astonished and rather horrified at the diabolical methods by which the deceased are despatched as we follow Mr G (as March calls him) and Miss Middleton in their quest for truth.

Absolutely wonderful; these books are real gems, and I can't wait to read more about the Gower Street Detectives.
1212 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2015
I read the reviews for this book and as it was on special I decided to download it but some reviewers recommended reading the 1st book in the series, ''The Mangle Street Murders'' 1st so I paid a bit extra and bought that too. I have written a review for that one as well. I haven't finished this sequel yet but I'm hooked as I was in the 1st book. The main character is a Sherlock Holmes type but although clever he has no redeeming features, which is what makes the books so funny as well as dramatic. He raises sarcasm to a new level but his young ward who helps him solve the crimes is equal to it. She is the opposite to him with a good heart but a secret past that is gradually unfolded as the book progresses. The crimes are ingenious and the whole book outrageous at times. This is a book I have no problem with recommending, it's original and too many novels are similar these days. I do recommend buying the Mangle Street Murders and reading that 1st as it sets the scene and introduces the characters.
on 8 January 2015
At every level this book sparkles with fun. And yet it has more, I am a 51 year-old dad and I love it. My 16 year old son is the same. I fear I am a stuffed shirt like Sidney Grice, I fear even more that I wish I was 21 again and I am in love with the "beautiful" March Middleton, Do yourself a big favour and read their books,ideally in order, and you'll know what I mean!!!
on 31 July 2014
I was sent a copy of this book by the publishers and this is my honest review.

The Gower Street Detective books continue with this second outing for Sidney Grice and March Middleton. Since his last case Sidney Grice has seen his star wane, he is made a mockery of in the newspapers and children sing ditties about him outside his house. Things change however with a visit from from a member of the macabre society whereby the surviving member inherits the wealth of all the others. When that visitor dies in Sidney's study both he and March are drawn into a world where the other members are in danger, and that danger seems to also be directed towards the intrepid duo.

I had just finished reading the first book in this series, The Mangle Street Murders and had to pick up The Curse of the House of Foskett straight away. I love discovering new authors and new series and so it was a joy to read these books.

I was soon immersed in the world of March and Sidney, full of idiosyncrasies, banter (from March at least) and murder. In this book the relationship between March and Sidney develops and we find that Sidney does have the capability of feeling something other than disdain for his fellow humans. The relationship between March and Inspector Pound also develops nicely, even when violence gets in the way.

The misogyny continues with March and other women in the book having to almost justify their existence, though this now often comes across as parody and exaggeration of what the situation may have truly been like for women in 19th Century Britain.

March's detective abilities are developing in this second outing and Sidney can be seen to discreetly encourage this. Also developing is her ability to deal with the violence that she suffers herself and can be seen to give as good as she gets.

More back story of the time March spent in India is revealed, and a further back story is hinted at, one which I can see being featured in a number of any up coming books.

Again I spotted the villain before the reveal but again it didn't spoil the book and there were plenty of other surprises that cropped up.

This was another page turner for me. I loved the fact that when I settled down to read it I was lost in the book, eager to find out what would happen but disappointed that I would soon be at the end.

Now I have to wait impatiently for the third installment, the worst part of finding a new series I like!
on 4 March 2016
This is the second of Kasasian's books. Happily you can read them independently unlike some of the other authors who try to tie you in woith a serial - which I find irritating.

If you have read the Mangle Street Murders, this latest book develops the characters. This is a great read and Conan Doyle has a worthy (if not even better) successor. It has the mystery and suspense, but it also has humour and on several occasions it was laugh out loud. I absolutely loved it and I am now a great fan of Mr Kasasian - I have already bought the third book - Death Decends on Saturn Villa and am saving it to enjoy later.
on 21 June 2016
I have fallen in love with The Gower Street Detective series. These books are a joy to read, and I will be sure to read all in the series. Characters are strong, description of era is great and allows the reader to get swallowed up in the smells and views of London. Start from the first, which is Mangle Street Murders and you won't get lost.
on 13 March 2015
This is another original, fast-moving and creepily gothic crime novel for the personal, not private, detective, Sidney Grice and his young ward,March Middleton. A series of gruesome murders progresses with Grice seemingly unable to stop the tide of death. The denouement can be guessed at but this is a minor defect in what is another cracking good yarn from M.R.C. Kasasian which had me page turning as fast as I could go. Yes, the plot is entirely improbable and becomes ever more so as the book progresses but that is more than made up for by the sparkling dialogue and the creation of the character of March Middleton who presents a human and believable foil to Grice. Enormous fun and the period detail is lovingly done. Do try it.
on 24 June 2015
Really enjoyed the first in this series, and was worried that the follow-on might not be as novel, but it does not disappoint. Still very atmospheric, set mostly in the seedy parts of Victorian London that Sherlock Holmes seldom seemed to visit, and with great characters. March is learning fast, though still makes some serious mistakes, and Grice is as outrageous as ever. It has somewhat reverted to "stupid police, clever 'tec" mode but only because our March has helped put the good policeman into hospital! Recommended read.
on 20 February 2016
This book was brilliant, endearing characters with a sprinkle of humour added in. Even the maid Molly made me laugh. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will go on to read the next in the series, I live in Wigan and it was rather nice to hear local beauty spots mentioned in the book. Hope this author will write more.
on 12 October 2014
This is the second in the series I have read and I did so with trepidation, as the first had been such a wonderful read. I feared that the second in the series would not live up to the previous one's originality, humour and characterisation. Luckily, this proved not to be the case and I was treated to yet another thoroughly engaging, completely original (how on earth does the author dream up these dastardly grotesque murders!?) and wonderful characterisation. Such wonderful storytelling - can't wait for the next in the series!