on 26 April 2017
D.S. Katie Maguire of the gardai, Anglesea Street station, Cork. It is a little like reading the local paper crime section as all the names of locales in the area come and go throughout the book, and it`s not bad for that.This first book, like those of James Oswald`s Inspector McLean books, has a tiny whiff of the occult about it, but is not spoiled by this.
On a miserable November morning, a field in North Cork turns up the bones of eleven dismembered women. They have been expertly cleaned to the bone by a killer with the skills of a master butcher, and they may have been kept alive while the flesh was flayed from their arms and legs. However, they all date back to around 1915.
Then a young woman who had gone missing turns up, in the same field, on the same farm, in the same state. The bones have been arranged in an arcane pattern, suggesting ritual dismemberment. Now with the crimes of the past echoing through to her present, Katie must try to tie it all up, and take care of the deep trouble her husband has got himself into.
Oh !, and if you have a notion to learn some Cork slang, there is a fine little glossary after the 384 pages of fine twisty, turny tale, with some of the most horribly graphic crime passages I`ve ever read.
When I first read reviews of this book I was not sure that I wanted to read it at all, having been singed by that particular fire myself. The reviews were universally buoyant, so I reckoned I should at least take a look. I have just finished reading it in one sitting.
Paul Kalanithi, 36 years old, a neurosurgeon / neuroscientist at the tail end of over a decade of training, just about to reap all the benefits concomittant with his position, and that is when he gets the diagnosis of terminal lung cancer. Those few fateful words turned him from a doctor treating the dying into a patient doing his best to keep living.
The outcome of the book is easy to guess, but it is not a book about dying, it is a testament to leading a fulfilling , meaningful life, in Kalanithi`s case by becoming a neurosurgeon and integrating patient and new father into that life.
What do you do when life is catastrophically interrupted, how do you make life worth living when staring into your oncoming death ? There are no answers here, but a great many suggestions.
His writing style is poetic, even when slipping in terms such as glioblastoma and hypothalamus, and is a pleasure to read. There are also a great number of poetic quotes. 225 pages
on 1 June 2017
White Bones
by Graham Masterton
Graham Masterton was a guest speaker at our local library so I went along to meet him. He was an entertaining and interesting speaker. I had never read any of his books before so I bought White Bones and Graham duly signed it for me.
It is a police procedural story set in County Cork, the main character is DS Kate Maguire. The story itself was interesting, a farmer was digging on his farm when he unearthed the bones of 11 women all with a little grey doll hanging on a piece of thread from a hole drilled into their thigh bone. The bones were found to be dated from 1915. Then some more bones were found to have been buried more recently so has the killer struck again?
It was an interesting story, but spoiled for me by the littering of Americanisms e g The farmer stood in his farmyard in County Cork and stuck his head under the faucet, would he not have stuck it under a tap? The next page featured a sidewalk. I know its nit picking but I really can’t stand it. Will I read another book of his – maybe, maybe not.
on 11 March 2017
Graham Masterson is undoubtedly on of the best writers around today. As a fan of horror I have enjoyed so many of his books.

I know this is more akin to a police murder mystery but the author has managed to take it to another level.

Love the character Katie Maguire. There is something about her that is different. She shows such strength and determination yet still has that compassion and vulnerability that makes her so real.

I know the murders are rather graphically and clinically told which may put off many. I admit that I too found them upsetting but accept that they add so much more to intensify the police, and particularly Maguire's, determination to solve the case.

Despite all the obvious horror in the story the author still manages to let the reader get to know the main characters and takes great care to let us see how the relationships between them develop.

As the first in a series this sets the scene for some great follow-ups in books to come. I am looking forward to following Katie Maguire's personal story.
on 19 July 2017
I have been a Graham Masterton fan for well over a decade and have read many of his horror novels but never any of his crime thriller stories. I think I still remain more of a fan of his horror stories but I can say that I really enjoyed this book. The story was very good, with a nice little twist at the end and I think the main character is very likeable.

There are many sad parts to the story overall but it wouldn't be very believable without these and a word of warning there are parts of this novel that are quite disturbing to read regarding the villain. Need a strong stomach to get through it!!

Would recommend and have given it only 4/5 because I felt that it lacked the 'can't put it down' feeling of some of his other novels although I would buy the next installement.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 March 2013
Enjoyed White Bones. It's a mixture of police procedure and horror that works well alongside the surreal storyline. There's a feeling of reality even when things turn really weird and that's a rare gift for an author. Katie Maguire is a decent character and I'm hoping she's resurrected in future Masterton novels. The Irish background, the times of the Troubles, adds a good sense of threat and the whole farming situation around the discovery of the bodies is extremely well written. Thought the finding of the 'grey dolls' was incredibly spooky (I'm not telling you anything about them - read the book!). Masterton's been clever introducing strong folklore, superstition and elements of history into the plot without blurring the edges. Altogether a good read for anyone who enjoys a hard boiled thriller.

Have to be honest and say; there are scenes of extremely 'strong' violence, torture and gore. I'm a tough cookie when it comes to fiction but I skipped through some of the chapters without finishing them - really made me cringe at times. Masterton excels at 'gore' and he's outdone himself in White Bones.

Entertaining, strong, surreal thriller with excellent characters but most definitely 'not' for the sensitive.
on 30 September 2013
I have read some of Graham Mastertons horror books in the past and enjoyed them, and its great to see that he can produce a new style of book although it certainly has its nasty moments very nasty in fact I can understand why some people didn't enjoy the book,it is certainly not for the squeamish,I can't say I enjoyed some of the descriptions.I liked the main character Katie Maguire and I loved the Irishness of the book if thats a proper word, it had a really different feel to it and I really think he captured it well.I also wasn't sure who were the baddies until all was revealed in more than one sense! Just downloaded the next in the series and looking forward to reading it.
on 13 June 2013
I’ve read some of Graham Masterton other work (some fantasy stories) and thought I’d try this for a change.
I don’t normally get scared when reading (some early Stephen King maybe) but I can honestly say this made my skin creep (no pun intended).
As with the majority of detective stories the climax comes too fast but the build-up and pace was good till then. I liked the characters and was misled naturally by the story to give the twist at the end.
It was the concept and the descriptions which while fresh and interesting in its ideas had me cringing as I read.
Recommended unless you’re squeamish or live alone in an isolated house somewhere (or accept lifts from strangers!).
on 23 May 2013
The gory details were far too disgusting after a promising start. Why do authors need to write books which feature women being tortured/raped/murdered? Can't they come up with better storylines/plots that THAT.
on 10 May 2017
First in a series of books with a strange story with many graphic and disturbing parts. also woven in are Kate's own problems and a background story of intrigue relating to the Irish and British in 1917.
on 12 June 2017
Graham Masterson brings D.I Kate McGuire into life in this new series mixing Gaelic mythology and Garda police procedure when eleven dismembered female bodies are discovered under a farm building and there about 80 year old crime scene until a fresh bodie turns up
I love Graham Masterson horror books and I really like this new series give him a go you will not be disappointed