Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2014
I'll start by saying that I love the basic theory behind this book! Saying 'f**k it' really is therapeutic and can lift great weights off your shoulders.

The problem with this book, though, is that the content could have so easily been summed up in just one page. Perhaps even just one sentence! - "Just say 'f**k it' to all your problems." - That's basically the main bulk of the book, and I found myself getting very bored reading what felt like the same thing over and over again. In fact, about half way through the book, I very nearly said 'f**k it' to reading the rest as it was proving to be a struggle to read. But, I continued on and actually found the breathing techniques towards the end very helpful and interesting.
on 29 September 2013
I agree with the 'graphic artists' review here. I come from the other end of the spectrum of addiction and alcoholism, where I suffer as a family member of alcoholism, and have done since childhood. And am therefore unable to simply apply the 'fuck it' theory to my own life. In fact, to do so would be nothing short of disastrous.

I feel this book maybe more applicable to people who have had the good fortune of avoiding the sadistic and severely traumatic experience that is addiction. Saying that, I would still strongly advise that you know yourself inside out before starting to use the 'fuck it' theory as a rule to live your life by.

I get the authors overall message. BUT as my heading states; it is 'not for everyone, and caution is advised'.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2011
This book has one idea which is repeated again and again. The author has very little insight and I find the humour grating after a while. And then for some reason he tags on some tai chi exercises at the end, simply to fill some space. Two stars for a good cover though!
on 4 February 2013
Puts in to simple words what so many philosophies can't. Helps you find yourself by saying "look, there you are!".
Read it and be liberated.
on 14 July 2013
I don't normally write reviews but I think buyers should know more about this book. As some who has battled with lethargy and alcoholism for a while now, the message of the book is potentially problematic. The idea of eat what you want, drink what you want, if you don't want to exercise don't bother etc. etc. may work for some people but many may read it and think, ha...well I'll just watch the TV and crack a beer. If I took the book's advice tonight I'd be in a back in bad place.

I've read many self help books which have drastically improved my situation and made me a much happier, freer person. I think this one might be better avoided.
on 7 September 2016
Having it for years, but never bothered writing a review.
I believe now it's the time.
I had it even before I went on psychotherapy. I read it a few times before and tried to follow the instructions.
After 3-4 years of therapy, I read it again ... it all made much more sense after this.
I have recommended this book to various friends and family. some bought it as a hard copy others bought it as an ebook.
overall I can say we are all satisfied and happy that we have had the chance to read this book.
on 9 December 2008
This is a very good book for those of us who have too much of a conscience and who try far too hard to do it all right all the time.It makes you feel really good reading this book.The ideas are written very simply and its easy to see how to adapt the same attitude into your daily life.Its fun to read with humourus comments and a light-hearted approach is just what we need in life.Buy it if you feel the need to say the phrase or if you just have problems letting go-this book is all you need to guide yourself into a relaxed and stress free way of life.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2009
I read tons of spiritual books and this one had a really refreshing approach - honest, lightweight, matter of fact, funny and not in the least po-faced. The exercises and the tips about deep breathing are genuinely useful. I will read this again and again, I'd like a follow up book though because I felt like we weren't getting everything from the author that we could! Loved it.
on 15 July 2011
I've read a lot of information regarding how to let go and live in the moment to no avail...until I read this book. John takes the eastern view of letting go, and giving into the flow of life by simply saying the words, "F**k it".

Trust me, it works. It's simpler than meditating, and it costs you nothing in expensive classes or alternative therapies. If you're looking for some modern day wisdom with a dash of ancient practices, purchase this book.

You will never regret it :)
on 20 March 2012
Not for everyone but it does highlight how easy it is for people to be taken advantage of despite having good intentions.
I don't see the arguments from previous reviews about how it can be nihilistic - especially if you read the chapter where he expresses his love for his kids or worries about global warming.
Life isn't easy, and this book should help you deal with situations where you may be placing too much stress on things that aren't important... and certainly has helped me (someone who has suffered from anxiety attacks for a couple of years - and trust me I am one of those people who always said people like me should be locked up up until I started suffering a psychological disorder).
If I was to disagree with one thing it is some of the rhetoric regarding work eg. don't be afraid to come into work late if you want to... found that a bit odd unless he wants to pay off my mortgage!
For those who take things personally and feel "under the thumb" this book should provide some relief. Not perfect by any means but it is helped me - essentially his message is to chill out otherwise you will work yourself into an early grave. And there are many parts of the book that make me chuckle.