Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Archetypes: A Beginner's Guide to Your Inner-net
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 April 2014
An extremely well written book with the depth and logical progression you would expect from Caroline Myss. Its insights are both accurate and perhaps alarming when you recognise a positive trait in you, but then have to consider the shadow side of that trait. The book gives clear guidance as to how to recognise your archetypes, how to make the most of them and how to deal with the shadow aspects of them. If you want to know why you do things instinctively but shy away from doing other things, you'll find the answers in this book. A thoroughly good read.
on 27 April 2017
Interesting
on 17 September 2017
This book provides an enticing inner journey into the constellation of our authentic self built on multiple archetypes.
on 30 March 2014
I haven't found in this book any serious information or anything that has contributed to widen my knowledge about archetypes. It is a book of an overwhelming simple-mindedness almost childish and very disrespectful in the way it treats something so ancient and important as the archetypes. It follows the current fashion of treating everything lightly. The introduction is the only tolerable passage and reading it you may think something meaningful and serious is waiting for you in the next pages. Not at all. The transposition of archetypes is embarrassing. This lady has renamed the archetypes and has invented, supposedly to match our time, new "kinds of archetypes" so you find a list of ordinary and cheap names such as the fashionista! or the athlete! The level is for pre-schoolers and yet it would be a crime that the first contact with the archetypes would be this book. I can't think of anything useful a grown up can get from this book. But I am not very surprised, what sells today is the easy, the simple, the uncompromising. We are what we read so...
Caroline Myss is a medical intuitive and leading expert of energy medicine and human consciousness. Her earlier books "Anatomy of Spirit" and "Why People Don't Heal and How They Can" changed the way I think about myself, how I view the world and how I work with clients as a mental health therapist.
Her new book "Archetypes: Who Are You?" offers a new and powerful piece to the puzzle of "Who am I? What is my purpose? And How can I be more fulfilled?" She says they are not ordinary questions. They are cries from the depth of our being, calling us to discover our true self.
Myss shows how we are far more than our personality, habits and achievements and explains how discovering and understanding our archetypes or universal patterns of behavior can help us better understand ourselves and others and our place in the world.
She says there are ten primary archetypes: the Caregiver, the Artist/Creative, the Fashionista, the Intellectual, the Rebel, the Queen/Executive, the Advocate, the Visionary, the Athlete, and the Spiritual Seeker.
Knowing our archetypes gives us the knowledge to make more conscious decisions about our relationships and careers and helps us avoid the pitfalls, play up the strengths and become more authentic. She also explains each individual archetype, shows how it evolved, its unique characteristics, defining graces, life challenges, family parts and how to tap into its power. The tips and practical advice on how to fully engage with our archetypes are helpful.
This book shows how each archetype contains a life lesson, a unique challenge, a defining grace, an inner shadow and myth or signature story.
Myss says we are infinitely complex human beings with stories, myths and dreams. Her book shows how we can use the energy of our archetype to express the true reason we were born.
on 30 January 2016
I HAVE READ MANY OF CAROLINE'S BOOKS AND EACH I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND. NOT SO THIS, THEIR'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT , BUT PERHAPS AS IT WAS WRITTEN AT THE REQUEST OF A FRIEND, IT LACKS THE PROFUNDITY AND BRILLIANCE OF HER OTHER BOOKS.
on 8 January 2013
Nothing brand new if you already know about archetypes (take the test online [...] and it will save you reading the book) but the most annoying thing was when I downloaded the ebook I discovered there was no TOC (table of content which is also missing from the iBooks version). I understand that Caroline Myss was once a publisher. So I'd like add another archetype of a LAZY for the publisher (LEN in Polish since she's half Polish:). I'm sure they will add it at some point. I'm going to ask for a refund (for that reason) which would be interesting process for an ebooks. In the meantime, I used search to find information.

Quick read and good introduction to the subject for beginners (and advanced ones). It has good parts i.e. the overview and summary of each archetype as well as the checklist are quite good. The book is well structured. Or if you want the gist of the wisdom from this book read popular highlights which are quite spot on. Pop 'psychology' and typology. FINAL THOUGHTS: "Knowledge comes from discerning thought, from sober reflection of facts, history, and wisdom of the ages." There is knowledge (48 matches) and wisdom (49 matches) in this book (although there are different domains and wisdom is more sexy and desirable than knowledge). Now you know what a predominate archetype I am:)

How do you become wise though? Lao Tzu (in Tao Te Ching) offers a good tip: "If you want to become knowledgable - learn one thing a day. If you want to become wise - unlearn one thing a day." That is a true wisdom. Reading this book you can learn both.
on 28 January 2013
I am a big fan of Caroline Myss and have almost all of her books. If you have an interest in Archetypes, I recommend you read this one first as it brings the Archetypes up to date in a way that I could relate to. Caroline Myss takes a fresh approach from her book Sacred Contracts by lifting the Archetypes up a level into groups that are easily understood and, for me clearer to relate to than how she had portrayed them in Sacred Contracts. I feel that I could now revisit Sacred contracts with fresh eyes and gain more insight from that book too.
However, this book stands on its own and helped me understand why I am always driving change in every job that I do. The website mentioned in the book is very complimentary to this book and I recommend a visit.
on 23 November 2013
It's a more straightforward book than Sacred Contracts, with checklists for what archetype you are. It's easier to see whether you are a particular archetype or whether it's wishful thinking.
on 30 June 2013
Expected more from this book. I haven't learnt anything new from it as I have from past books by this author.