on 3 April 2013
I bought this book as I wanted some advice and information about the Perimenopause, however this book is about advice for all ages. It gives advice on health and diet and supplements however there wasn't enough information on the Perimenopause and it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, ie the importance of getting enough sleep, exercise and a healthy diet. It also includes some healthy recipes, which is fine, but I wasn't very impressed overall. I'm now going to buy another book called 'It must be my hormones:getting your life on track with the help of natural bio-identical hormone therapy and nutrition' which has had good reviews and am hoping it will be more insightful.
on 11 March 2013
I should have known better than to buy a book with only a handful of reviews. But I'm having a rough week with the hormones and it's easy to want "a better way" to deal with this hormonal time of life. This may be a good book for you if you're not too bothered about scientific evidence (based on peer reviewed research), not of a cynical nature, and you're prepared to buy vast quantities of nutritional supplements. Before you decide, google: "peer reviewed research" any of the following: bioidentical hormones, complementary therapies for menopause, wild yam extract, blood test for food intolerance, resveratrol - to name a few.

I do believe there might be a powerful placebo effect if you are not of a cynical nature. There may even be real effect. I certainly don't doubt that a healthy diet, regular exercise & strong emotional support can help smooth the midlife transition. I also prefer to avoid chemicals as much as possible and do the earth a favour by buying organic where possible. I don't, however, believe that, when we eat an organic carrot, we "assimilate some of their ability to withstand stress". (from Chapter 5, ......And Start Doing What Works) I admit I didn't try to find the science behind that one because, even if there is a study, I think I will still choose not to believe it. (Did I mention this book might not be for cynics?)

I also don't believe that I should be required to take 19 supplements per day (20 if you include a small glass of red wine.) (Chapter 8 The Plan Basics) Not to mention the additional "proprietary blend of red clover extact, ashwagandha extract, passionflower extract, chaste tree extract, kudzu extract, wild yam extract, black cohosh extract". Appendix B.

So buy it if you're looking for alternative ideas for dealing with perimenopause and other hormonal imbalances. It may be life changing. I, however, am feeling saner already, just knowing that I really can manage these symptoms without breaking the bank at the health food store.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2013
Firstly, this is very American. Shopping lists include ingredients like 'bison' 'tilapia' 'escarole' and 'jicama'. It's full of case studies which didn't seem relevant to me. It is very prescriptive, spells out exactly what you should be doing each day (6.30am - wake up and lie in bed getting ready for your day. Do Belly Breathing Exercise. 7.15 drink 2/3 glasses of water with lemon. 7.30 breakfast from the meal plan. 8.00 shower and dress.' And so it goes on. Purleese! We have lives! Children! Teenagers! Work! And it pushes supplements like there's no tomorrow. The menopause can be a tricky time, ok, so let's not make it harder for ourselves. Jenny Murray's book is so much better.
on 15 August 2013
After reading, and appreciating, Is It Me or My Adrenals?: Your Proven 30-Day Program for Overcoming Adrenal Fatigue and Feeling Fantastic by the same author, I plowed on with this one, about hormones, and what effect they have on our bodies. Female bodies, I should point out, because it's a book for women. While it touches on testosterone, it's more about estrogen and progesterone.

The thing is, if our hormones are out of whack, we're not going to feel well. This book goes into a lot of different causes of hormone imbalances, and what you can do about it. For instance, it's shocking to read how much we're exposed to hormones without even trying. Plastics, for instance, there's one. The book inspired me to throw out a lot of plastic containers and put things in glass jars instead!

Toward the end, there's what a "typical day" could look like. While some people would certainly think you need to follow it point to point, that's not the point - which the author is quick to point out herself. It's a suggestion of how someone's day is structured, not necessarily how your day works. It's more about giving examples of how easily you can incorporate a ten-minute walk in an otherwise busy schedule.

There are a list of hormone-friendly recipes as well, but I mainly skipped those. A lot of them contain very American ingredients, but if you know what you're doing in a kitchen (and look up things on Wikipedia that you don't know what they are), you can find substitutes fairly easily. If something's described as a "white fish", there are several white fish that I'm sure would work just as well, for instance.

If you don't want a book to suggest taking nature-identical hormones and supplements, exercise a bit more, or be careful with what you put in your mouth, then Is It Me or My Hormones? is not for you, and you're not going to like it, even though it says you don't actually need to take supplements, but you will feel better quicker if you do.. If you don't mind any of those things, it's an interesting read. If I have any real criticism, it would be that the book is more for perimenopausal, menopausal or post-menopausal women rather than slightly younger women in their 20s or early 30s who haven't quite got as far as perimenopause yet, but who are still affected by hormone imbalances.
on 8 April 2013
This book has changed the course of my life..it is utterly brilliant...informative without being over complicated...each step of the way leading the wise woman to take responsibility & become informed about the choices available for dealing with the hormonal changes at every corner...every woman should have a copy of this..whether hormonal or not....start young i say. In grace & gratitude
on 30 June 2013
Enjoyed this book as it provided an interesting insight into how important it is to have the correct hormonal balance. Definitely worth a read for anyone going through hormonal changes.
on 13 May 2013
Great book, easy to find what you're interested in or just read the whole lot, it's so well written. Clear and instructive but not preachy. Great advice, I feel better already!
on 1 July 2013
I saw this book highly recommended in a magazine and so I was hoping for a real gem of a book. The author is American and is written for an American audience and whilst I do not normally find that a problem, I struggled to get through it. A significant part of the book is devoted to quite an extreme diet with unusual ingredients......I would have to be REALLY struggling with a hormonal imbalance to want to try it.
on 11 April 2013
This is basically a diet and supplement book. With too much medical terms, you would need a medical degree to understand half of it
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2013
Well my Mrs liked it... me - not so much.
She tells me its a good interesting and informative tome...