on 6 December 2015
The “Whispering Bell” for me was and still is, an imaginative and entertaining read. Set in the so called “Dark Ages” after the Roman occupation of Britain. The British midlands (Mercia) was under the rule of the pagan King Penda 626ad, a little known period of history. The narrative paints a picture of the harsh way of life set by the fortune of the seasons during the pre Christian period of the history of the British Isles An excellent book by - Brian Sellars.
on 7 January 2015
Excellent writer, will seek out more
on 6 October 2014
loved it, I cant wait for Brian Sellers to release his next book.
on 10 March 2014
Brian Sellars is my favourite author of the moment. His characters really come alive. The storyline held me enthralled and I could not put the book down.
on 3 November 2013
I loved this book. I was captivated from the first page through to the last. I hadn't intended to read this book in one sitting, but I couldn't put in down. The characters and storyline were great with a few unexpected twists along the way. I was hooked in wondering how it would it end - Brilliant, highly recommended.
on 26 January 2014
I very much enjoyed reading The Whispering Bell. I must admit that I was skeptical at first; if there is one criticism that I have of this book, it's that a few characters are archetypes - the beautiful maiden, the brave hero, the lusty wench. But this skepticism was swept away by the excellent description and gripping plot. I found myself lost in the lush valleys, impenetrable forests and swept along with the clear, fresh spring-water streams.

The story follows the life of Wynflaed, from her uncertain start in life to her rise to wife of a great warrior and then the fall into poverty when he's lost in battle (this isn't a spoiler, by the way: the author has written a short introduction that contains these details). One cannot help but feel the hope that Flaedy feels when she first meets her future husband and also the crushing despair as her life falls into disarray. It is an absolutely gripping read that I couldn't put down.

Another point in the favour of Sellars is that the historical detailing is spot on. He also manages to unobtrusively explain some of the key vocabulary within the story, subtly adding to the readers' knowledge whilst not detracting from the tale or coming across as 'teacher-y'. I was so taken by the author's style that I have straight away started to read TUPPENNY HAT DETECTIVE - review to follow!
on 19 November 2013
I really enjoyed this book.
Bought it on Kindle not expecting much and found I couldn't put it down.
I read a lot of Bernard Cornwell and this is just as good - if not better.
I would love there to be a sequel.
on 21 December 2013
A completely different style to The Tupenny Hat Detective but every bit as entertaining, a superb insight into life in Anglo Saxon Britain. One for the metal detectorists.
on 2 January 2014
Another great story having enjoyed tuppenny hat detective i looked forward to this one,i was not disappointed. Great story and characters. I think it takes a talented author to write novels of different time period and genres. I would certainly recommend this.
on 6 January 2014
To me it's a good book if I can empathize with the characters
of if it had me reaching for my laptop to check out the details. This book did both. I read the Tupenny hat detective and loved it so I look forward to more books by Brian Sellars.