on 17 December 2012
Photography isn't a hobby, it isn't a profession it's a passion and a calling. Cameras are the tools that make it all possible. As a boy I dreamed of owning one of the fabulous cameras in this book. Listed and described in this wonderful book are the most fantastic and beautiful pieces of technology. Unlike present day iPhones or Nintendo thingys they are enduring and, dare I say it, these days collectable.
I'm pleased to see the lowly Halina 35x mentioned. It isn't a very good review and I have to say it is probably accurate, but it was the camera I was gifted, aged 11 that sparked my professional career. I love this book because the author clearly loves cameras.
on 17 December 2014
Brilliant book for camera nuts. It's the layout format that does it for me, perfect balance between period graphics and factual text . You instantly get a sense of the period each camera came from and a sense of changing functions and fashions as each decade unfolds.
It's clearly written by someone who is passionate about his subject ,and stays mostly true to the theme of 'peoples cameras'. You won't find any Leica's or Rolleiflex TLR's in here, it's very much the mass produced funky stuff for the masses, and all the better for it. It is also inevitably a personal eclectic selection, and as such has a number of omissions that I would like to have seen, most notably the Rollei 35, one of the smallest and best selling 35mm compact cameras ever made in the 60's and 70's ( maybe not funky enough? ) .Anyway, superb book. Guaranteed winner for anyone interested in cameras and/or photography, and probably the best stocking filler I couldn't be bothered waiting for my wife to take the hint and get for me.
on 17 December 2012
By far my favourite literature of retro cameras, retromania has a witty repartee, and great visuals! An absorbing, captivating, refreshing and insightful approach to the world of retro cameras, without too much techno jargon, this is at the top of my Xmas list for all friends that have an interest in cameras.
on 9 May 2013
I've bought this book for my hubby who is very interested in photography. A few months ago I bought 6 retro cameras for him and wanted to get him something to enhance his knowledge of older cameras- and this book is perfect. 5 of the 6 cameras I've bought him are in here! It's a great little encyclopedia of retro cool cameras and if you are just interested in retro items its a very good read. Colour photos, camera diagrams and even old advertising posters are all included here, its a trip down memory lane! Hmm, I want to keep this book for myself now.
on 17 December 2012
Bought this fascinating book for Hubby who knew how to use these cameras
and didn't have to ask for help understanding the jargon used nowadays!
Very interesting book for anyone interested in camera memorabilia.
on 21 February 2014
One of the best books on retro cameras i've bought! - The whole style and layout of the book is spot on and reflects and maintains the whole retro feeling. - Top quality images of the cameras are on each page along with excerpts from actual manuals and advertising material. Over all a funky little book thats a great read
Until I picked up this book I thought my Ricoh TLS401 camera ,which I bought on a whim a coupe of years ago , was the funkiest of cameras . Although I love it , this book convinces me there are even more unusual cameras out there , waiting for me to collect and admire them . A book that describes and illustrates wonderful old photo taking machines that can easily become addictive !!!!!!
on 29 January 2013
Inexpensive book showing some interesting cameras from years gone by.Covers a good variety of price ranges. Some cameras I remember seeing in my younger years. Cameras are explained in simple terms, highlighting there unusual features and quoting price in relation to weekly wage in the same era. There are good illustrations of the original packaging and instructions manuals. Made me thank about visiting second hand/charity shops looking for interesting old cameras.
on 8 January 2014
I can only agree with other reviews - this is an engaging read. More of a nostalgia trip than a serious account of the most notable cameras of the period, but never comes close to being a dull set of facts and figures.
on 27 March 2013
great book with great amounts of detailing about cameras and really useful guide to the history of cameras.

one thing that I'd love to see would be a pocket edition with just the name of the cameras along with a time line so when you are out at car boot sales you could easily and quickly look up the camera, would be ideal