Customer reviews

on 25 June 2012
I had this book sent from New Zealand by the author (and got it signed by his dad)and it was well worth the extra postage.

Doug comes across as a lovely, genuine & modest (weren't they all!)bloke who cared deeply about what he was doing and the people he met... I loved the way this book was mainly from Doug's own letters with the addition of extra information for some areas to introduce or explain something he has said. You can feel the history coming off the page and I loved some of the quotes of the time that he puts in his letters..

The pictures are great (though I think my edition has more in it than the UK one)and I have now had to buy Johnny Checketts story to add to it..

I am so glad that Doug survived and was able to help Hamish write this book. I am sure that had I been a lass when he was young he would have charmed me as he charmed all the girls he met (and he probably still could!!) Great story well told!
on 1 August 2013
A great story, by a before and after WW2 friend of my Dad (who served on the infamous HMS Trinidad on the Arctic Convoy runs for the British navy). Doug remains a great gentleman, and many thanks to Hamish for bringing his story to a wide audience. If only we could bring all our family's epic WW2 stories to such a wide audience, and in such a vivid and lively manner as this. It is salutory to our generation to know how life some how managed tio still bear so much semblance to nomality despite it being one of the most abnormal and awful periods in humanity's history. Thoroughly recommended! Craig Mclean Wallace (Auckland 1071/Hansonville Vic 3671.)