Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2013
I love this book - in fact so much that I carry it round with me just to dip into when I need reminding of what really matters. It gives me reassurance when it seems that everyone else is going mad with crazy box ticking and "one size fits all teaching ideas and courage to believe in thinking differently. Thank you.
on 17 February 2014
The book lives up to its cover. Ian Gilbert encourages us to adopt ideas and approaches that will go against the flow. In the present educational climate we must swim against the current. A timely and inspiring read.
on 15 April 2014
Nit only did this book make me think, it has made me reflect, consider and more importantly take action. From what pours off if every page I have been challenged to 'up my game', my classes deserve - no demand it. I will ensure they (and I) see the world with fresh eyes and that together we will explore injustice and inequality, then tackle it. That, surely, is my role as an educator - regardless of any test!
on 22 February 2014
This concise summary of Ian Gilbert's lifelong experience as an advocate of independent thinking, and its impact on teaching and learning, is masterly delivered in a poetic, almost mystical,series of aphorisms, parables, observations and thunks (something I will always associate Gilbert with) that infuses in the reader those profound if not disturbing questions about education in its most essential guise: thinking.
on 30 March 2014
It made me think whilst reading it. Then it made me think again. Although I disagreed with a few ideas I enjoyed thinking. That is the whole point. I have even started speaking my mind. Sometimes I disagree with myself.
on 21 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book - the way it openly challenges each of us to think about how we view our own corner of the world and to consider how best we might serve this and future generations best.
on 1 December 2013
The beauty of this book is hard to describe. In laying his own thoughts bare and exploring what 'knowing' and 'learning' is from a parental and educational viewpoint, Ian has forced the reader to consider the real truth behind life and human development. His humour makes you smile, but at times his honesty surrounding emotional reactions is breathtakingly raw. Thank you my friend for writing a book that has given hope to many when the light seems to be fading in the UK education system.
on 9 February 2014
A worth while reminder to us all
worth flagging up at department meetings - spread the word about this one
Well done to Ian!
on 19 February 2014
Ian Gilbert at his best. Delivering little nuggets that help us reflect on our purpose. Keeps me fresh in the classroom.
on 19 February 2014
If you only read one book about education, read this. Ian Gilbert, a breath of fresh air in a confused education system.