Customer reviews

on 12 October 2012
I stumbled across this great little book which, as far as my research is concerned, seems to be unique. It gives a thorough and succinct appraisal of the TV formats industry. It is full of practical advice about the creative and pitching processes and encourages you to be sensible and business-like - to anticipate the various pitfalls on the one hand but also how to 'go for it' with a degree of caution. The author even offers to consider your ideas personally and it may not be long before he hears from me! If you fancy your chances in this industry, this book represents great value for £12!!
on 19 October 2013
Bob Barber takes the novice through all the ins and outs, rights and wrongs of getting your idea for a TV show in front of the right people. He has a sample treatment section which I found to be extremely useful because it lays out a structure to follow, not precisely because every treatment will be different, but as a guide to how to get your thoughts in order. BB gets across the idea very well that programme executives are always on the look-out for new ideas for TV shows and if possible the next 'big' thing on TV. Highly recommended.
on 27 February 2013
The author of this book, Bob Barber is incredibly helpful & knowlegeable. The book is reader friendly, and is written in a stimualating and informative way. I found reading the book to be very easy to understand, fun to read and encouraging. I don't know if I would have proceeded further into the process of developing & subsequently submitting my ideas, to production companies, if I hadn't read this valuable book. I think I might have felt overwhelmed & been a bit intimidated by the whole developing ideas for TV process.

Topics include: how to develop your ideas and very invaluabe information tellig the reader how to write his/her treatment/formats, how to choose who best to approach & pitch your ideas to once you have developed them, how to format your ideas in the most effective way, how the TV industry really works, how best to protect your ideas, and finally what to expect if you are successful, in terms of an offer and a contract. All of this information is presented clearly and concisely and with a positive 'you can do' attitude.

A really brilliant book and I would encourage anyone who is at all interested in developing a TV show format to purchase this book. Many thanks to the author.
on 3 January 2013
Having read Bob Barbers "Sell Your TV Show Ideas" several times, I can say it is full of practical advice given in simple, plain English. From what to do with your initial ideas, to how to get industry executives interested along with "The 8 Golden Rules" of format writing.

If I could give you one piece of advice after reading this, it would be to buy the book and give it a go. You have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain.
on 15 September 2014
It's a gem of a book. It has everything you need to know to get started within its pages and is easy and straightforward to read. After reading the book l had my idea in a presentable form within days.The book also tells you how to go about getting your treatment seen by the right people.
Basically this book does just what it says on the cover.
Highly recommended by me.
on 25 November 2015
We bought this book about a year ago and have found it to be a very handy reference manual as we try to develop our formats. Very easy to read and lots of detail on the most important areas we needed to concentrate on. We would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to create their own ideas and get them onto TV.
on 7 February 2013
SELL YOUR TV SHOW IDEAS: After spending more than eight years struggling to sell TV formats I now feel much better equipped to sell my ideas. This book is brilliantly written, very easy to read and understand "every TV format creator should have one!" @ideas4tv
on 7 January 2014
A good insight into how to get a show looked at by the right people, a little guarded in some areas but generally a very good read and a great book to have if you are serious about proposing formats to TV people
on 29 October 2012
I bought this book as I am always thinking up ideas for a TV show but didn't know how to progress them.
This book was excellent as it details the process step by step and is packed with useful tips and advice for the novice .
It's an ideal book for anyone bored with their job and looking for a way to make some extra cash as it is a very easy read while also containing interseting info on the shows that we all know.
on 27 November 2016