on 9 March 2017
This is a comprehensive book covering the whole process of the creation of star wars. It's brilliant I would highly recommend. There are a whole host of pictures, audio and video clips (audio and video with enhanced digital edition) that really bring the process of creating the film to life. The interviews and quotes used are from before the release of the film so it's really interesting to read George Lucas and the crew talk about the movie with no idea about how successful it will really be. There are soo many different aspects that the book covers, one of particular interest was the special effects which are spoken about in great detail. This is a must for any star wars fan!
on 27 September 2014
This is the most comprehensive making of books yet and is totally mesmerizing. To see the struggle and pressure Lucas was put under and through constant problems, how he got Star Wars from draft to screen is a thrilling read. To have this book on the kindle is great as you get all the extras and there are some very good snippets which I've never come across before. If you like the saga or just interested in the movie process, this is for you.
on 16 March 2011
I consider myself lucky enough to have been around when this movie was released, although I didn't see the movie until almost a year after it's original US release (May 1977), owing to the then time lag beteen the release of a movie in the US/Canada and UK. I remember the exeprince like it was yesterday; Monday 31 January 1978 at the Odeon Film Centre in Glasgow, Scotland. A school day, but as luck (or fate) would have it, the schools heating system broke down and half my year travelled en masse on that very cold January morning to catch the first showing of this now cinematic milestone. This book brought it all back and I'd highly recommend it to fans of the original movie. Superbly illustrated and with many never before seen photographs this truely is the definitive "Making Of" and I'd order it while you can. Note that it's no longer available in this format on the high street having been replaced with a much smaller heavily edited paperback version. Having seen both, this hardcover version is the only way to go. Incidentally 2010's "The Making of the Empire Strikes Back" is also superb and I'd also highly recommend. Five stars and worth every penny.
on 20 October 2014
A fantastic book. I went for the kindle version for convenience of reading but also because of the many included audio clips, ranging from early conversations with Mr Lucas and his phenomenal creative team to the stars of the film.
For Star Wars fans this is a must - not just for the amazing photo's , facts and audio clips, but for the fascinating insight into the difficulty George Lucas experienced making this film. It is a testament to his perseverance and absolute belief in what he was writing. After reading the book, you can see how close it came to never being released. I, like many others, am very grateful that he pushed on with his dream.
on 14 August 2017
Brilliant behind the scenes look at the production behind Star Wars. Lovely concept art. Book large and heavy.
on 22 August 2014
I won't harp on about it, if your reading this review you must already be a Star Wars fan,
It's a very detailed insight into the making of Star Wars, from models to actors to cameras to production to getting it to the people, awesome pictures and story boards, I read it mainly for the model making as that's what I'm into, but I was surprised at the detail and insight into the whole process, a must read!
2 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2018
Brilliant value.
on 7 July 2014
I purchased this as a Father's Day gift for my Dad this year. He was extremely happy as was I. Arrive on time, MASSIVE book with all sorts of stuff in it. Bought it knowing it wouldn't disappoint but was not expecting it to be so full of information! It h
on 13 May 2016
Very detailed book..a must for the avid fan. Bought as a present and he was overjoyed to receive it. Great present at a great price!
on 8 June 2011
This is a book I have been meaning to read for ages. it took me back to the first few viewings of this great film. The nitty gritty of the process was interesting but its probably only real fans will be interested in. the film was nearly cancelled on so many occasions. well worth a read if you are a fan