Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 November 2013
Gavin Stamp provides us with a selection of his articles for Apollo monthly. Each is about 1300 words and on a different subject. The essays are quite wide-ranging and they are almost all stimulating and trenchant. Some of his views on non-architectural matters are typically academic and bien-pensant, and there is a very silly paragraph on global warming, but never mind: it is his views on architecture and design that you buy the book for. These are consistently in favour of good-quality building which is sensitive to its surroundings and has character; and he calls attention to some unfashionable causes, such as villas and prisons. I enjoyed this and strongly recommend it to anyone interested in architecture and design. It might help if like him (and me) you think the Victorian age produced a lot of good stuff.
on 25 February 2015
Gavin Stamp is wonderful. If I come back in another life, I'd like to be him. Fascinating, funny, and we hope, influential.
on 11 February 2015
This is an interesting range of articles from an author whose writing I enjoy and whose views I share, especially on the treatment of neglected buildings.
on 30 November 2014
Great read One of the bestime authors
on 12 April 2015
Still working my way through the various chapters, but the book is really changing my views on many elements of architecture and architects. Glad I bought this book, makes you think.