on 4 November 2015
Juliet Barnes set herself a very difficult task in trying to rewrite a story which has been told numerous times in the last 30 years. She has used an examination of the remains, in many cases the ruins, of the houses occupied by the decadent Happy Valley set as the basis of this new slant. Frankly it doesn't work! Even if you know Africa, and I have lived and worked in many parts of the continent over the last 40 years, the story gets rapidly tedious and her "side kick" Solomon, a Kenyan who has an obsession with colobus monkeys, just adds to the tedium. However, I am a persistent individual and I pursued the book to the finish. Only in one of the chapters near the end of the book does the story get interesting where state involvement in the murder of Lord Errol raises its head. The majority of the book deals with the modern Kenya,its people, the way it is governed and the day to day life for poor people. It is a very unflattering account but one which I know to be true.
The happy Valley set were a totally useless group of people, a total waste of space and really don't warrant the effort which Juliet Barnes expended on their story. A few years ago I wandered around Karen Blixen's house in Nairobi and only felt a sickening weight in the pit of the stomach - what a poor advertisement these people were for the Empire. However, I have to admit a compelling fascination for Alice de Janze but I suppose that is down to my maleness!
If you have a deep interest in this episode of death and debauchery in Kenya then give it a go - but you may, like me, struggle through most of it.
on 25 July 2017
nice book good price quick delivery
on 18 June 2017
Fasinating
on 18 April 2017
Well written
on 4 March 2017
Very happy with my purchase. I really enjoyed the book.
on 28 April 2015
So glad I bought this delightful book. Juliet brings to life the modern rural Kenya, as she tracks down the old houses of the Happy Valley settlers. The anecdotes of the veteran Mau Mau terrorists and the present day residents of the houses give the African viewpoint on White settlers. You sympathize with Solomon trying desperately to save the Colobus monkey and indigenous trees whilst being thwarted by bigwig money interests.
Juliet's description of the almost impossible rutted roads and quagmires, after the rains transported me back to my childhood in Kenya.
A well written book that brings to life modern Kenya and the plight of the rural African living in poverty, fifty years post independence. One wonders what happened to all the billions of Aid money given to Kenya?? It certainly didn't benefit the rural African.
If you are looking for a saucy read about the Happy Valley sex exploits then this book isn't for you. If you want a snapshot of Kenya fifty years post independence with an update on the settlers farms carved up as land settlement plots, then this book is a must read.
on 12 May 2014
pleasant but amateur piece,perhaps telling us more about the author and her times (and values) than the 30's and 40's in Kenya
on 10 July 2013
I found this book is not easy to read at times. I think the writer tends to meander through the descriptions of the houses once occupied by the European farmers. One minute we are at the house called Clouds, once the home of Idina, the wife of Lord Errol and then on to other residences owned by people who also carved out a living and strived to exist and then back to Clouds. I find that I am confused by the number and names of people she finds occupies the houses now. The map she included gives us an excellent idea of the kind of distance these people had to cover to get to any kind of contact with the outer world. I learned a great deal about the sad plight of the beautiful colobus monkey and her friend Simon who's conservation work is so important.

Juliet Barnes puts forward some already tried and tested ideas as to who killed Lord Errol. Many of the theories we have already read about in other books like 'White Mischief' or 'The Life and Death of Lord Errol'. Somebody must know something but we may never know. Julian Fellows, who did an hour long documentary on the murder said at the end that he knew who did it but would not tell! Perhaps Juliet Barnes ought to confront him and try and get some more information from him. The book has many interesting moments,especially when she meets some of the old Mau Mau fighters. I would recommend this as a good read and well worth buying as it has some good details about the type of life these pioneers led which was not easy, yet they stayed and loved the country so much
66 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2016
Let me begin at the outset by saying I loved this book. As I have enjoyed all the literature I have read about ‘Happy Valley’ and the intrigue around the murder of Lord Errol. But – whereas, while reading in the dying days of the twentieth century, and the dawn of the 21st, the world of those hedonistic pleasure-seekers of nigh on a hundred years ago appears more fictional than real – here, now, is a tale of truth, no matter how unsavoury some might find it.

Like Juliet Barnes, I was born and brought up in Kenya and have never left, and like her, I am an author. So I take an interest in others’ writing, and their reviews. And reading through some of the reviews Barnes has received for her remarkable book here, I feel compelled to speak up.

More than a few people seem disappointed that this is not yet another vivid peek through the keyhole at all the seedy goings-on of Kenya’s colonial past, and have expressed dissatisfaction at the focus on the new inhabitants of the ruins of the erstwhile pleasure palaces of the Happy Valley set. But this is what Barnes set out to do! Her whole intention, if I’m not mistaken, was to breathe life back into the buildings that still lie deteriorating in overgrown gardens, and introduce the new (and rightful) inhabitants of the houses, mingling history with the current day. And emphasise the difference between that carefree debauched period of notoriety and the reality of many Kenyan’s lives today.

With the redoubtable Solomon as her companion and guide, she is able to take the reader right into the worlds of the people now living in Wanjohi. And get from them their recollections and thoughts about the Europeans who once called the area ‘home’. It is a refreshing, honest and revealing story – thought-provoking and emotive, definitely. I would recommend it to anybody wanting to add another book about Kenya to their library.

Perhaps, if anything can be learned from some readers’ evident disappointment not to have found more scandal between the covers of Barnes’ book, maybe a change to the image on the front cover might solve the problem – include Solomon, and other modern day residents to illustrate the juxtaposition of the two worlds, so readers (who evidently haven’t properly read the blurb on the back of the book) can see what the story is going to be about.
on 22 June 2014
I was really looking forward to this account of twisted colonialism but was hugely disappointed with this book which I believe wanders in and out of focus. There are really two books here: one about the Happy Valley set and one about the state of the area's Kenya tribesmen. The author appears uncertain as to which to choose but the former appears on the cover, leaving the reader desperately frustrated at having fascinating Happy Valley residents picked up and dumped in favour of the estimable Solomon Gitau and his green credentials concerning trees and the colubus monkey. There are two many different journeys here, leaving the book feeling equally fractured. Also, the book needs proof reading. There are a number of errors, which include things which might be said but look odd in print and, occasionally, some extremely uncomfortable phrasing. The result for me is a lack of depth on what should be a fascinating subject, possibly due to insufficient research, and a failure to get under the skin of these extraordinary characters, both individually and as a group. I felt it read more like a set of detailed notes in preparation for a book. I hope the obviously courageous Ms Barnes will forgive me.