on 28 December 2014
A pretty ordinary book all told. It is just a step-by-step recounting of Richie Macaw's rugby life....much the same as any professional sportsman, nothing really insightful or inspiring. Hardly 'riveting', 'unflinching' or any of the other superlatives thrown about by sycophantic jounalist reviewers. If you enjoy generic sport stars' autobiographies you will probably like this one. If you, like me, are expecting deep insight into the minute differences between average and great, or some inspiring personal story then you will be disappointed......and why on earth did they publish this particular edition in such a small font? It's like struggling through 250 pages of the small print on your mortgage!
on 28 July 2014
Excellent, well worth a read if you are a rugby fan, I finished the booking hoping there would be a sequal!

If you are wanting just an insight into Richies personal life you will be a bit disappointed, he does obviously give a little bit of personal information about himself but rightly so manages to keep detailed information about his personal life outside of the All Blacks to just enough to give you an insight into who he is as a person contributing to him as Captain of the All Blacks. One thing I really like about Richie McCaw is his level headed ability to keep life in perspective and not let the fame of being Captain of the All Blacks interfere with who he is as a person off the field. The book does talk of Richies love for piloting glider planes, as someone who has a love of flying this side of the book was a bonus for me and inspired me to want to go in a glider one day,.

Being an All Blacks supporter my motivation behind the read was I interested to know what gives the All Blacks that extra something special many other teams have so far not even come close to matching. If this is your reason for reading the book you will not be disappointed by what Richie has to say about being, acting and playing as part of a team.
on 20 January 2016
Ok - so I haven't read this yet. How, I heard you ask, can I therefore give a review?! Well it was bought as a present for someone (hopefully I'll read it when he's finished with it!): book looks good, well priced, arrived quickly. And anyone who loves rugby is going to want to read about an inspirational captain who (when I bought it) had just won the world cup
on 15 August 2017
Chronological history of world class rugby player. Apart from his passion for gliding I did not learn an awful lot about RIchie McCaw the person. Most sentences began with the letter I . Would have required a broader canvas to include contributions of family, friends and team mates. Don't know the Real McCaw after reading this book.
on 21 October 2015
Great book, well written. Not your usual run of the mill autobiography where the subject tells all about themselves - Richie doesn't tell you a massive amount about his private life as that's what it is - private. Richie comes across as a really down to earth, likeable guy who genuinely loves playing rugby and gives you an insight into his rugby highs and well documented lows. Highly recommended.
on 2 July 2014
A great read and insight into the incredible athlete and competitor Richie McCaw. It also gives a jaw dropping idea of the mindset of the mighty All Blacks - defeat is not an option. I found it too easy to pick up and very difficult to put down - would definitely recommend to any rugby enthusiast.
on 22 November 2015
Really well written and seriously inspirational. Matter-of-fact, honest, and shows McCaw is a human not a machine or a beast. I did not buy this as a motivational book (I detest that genre), but in fact it helped me through a very tough period. I wish there would be a sequel covering the years 2011-15.
on 24 April 2016
This book is exactly what I was hoping it would be, a fabulous read and for any 'Kiwis' - it seems as though Richie is in the room chatting with you.
Superbly written and full of inside stories.
on 22 March 2015
A great account of what drives a person to become the best he can in his given field of sport, lesser players should learn from him, my only criticism is his utter destain of the UK rugby playing countries which I suppose is based on our inability to beat the All Blacks, SA and the Aussies on a regular basis.
on 10 July 2016
Interesting insight into the all black legend and the mentality to deal with pressure. Honest and straight to he point reflection in the build up to RWC 2011