on 8 September 2013
For the uninitiated; the Nikki Heat series is a series of companion novels to the U.S TV series 'Castle' written by "Richard Castle" (the main character of the show, who is writing a series of books based on the exploits of Detective Kate Beckett). The books are, basically, like props from the show. Like the previous instalments in the Nikki Heat series, 'Deadly Heat' follows NYPD detective Nikki Heat and her partner/lover Jameson Rook. This time, we see them continuing the hunt for the man responsible for the murder of Heat's mother years before, while simultaneously pursuing a serial killer who marks out Heat as his next target. This book, like the previous four in the set, basically plays out like an episode of 'Castle' and reading the book you can see those characters in your mind(Heat=Beckett, Rook=Castle etc...) This book, like the others, does not take itself too seriously and that makes it an enjoyable read; the characters are engaging and fun, without being too cliché and the plot moves along at a steady rate and throws the occasional twist at you (some I saw coming, others I did not) I loved this book simply because it is fun and easy to read, you can just switch off and enjoy it without having to think too much and sometimes I want that.
It isn't perfect though (yes, just because I loved it doesn't mean I am blind to its faults). In this case: where this book does suffer, in my opinion, is that it does rely on having read the previous book- 'Frozen Heat'. The first four novels, you could pretty much just pick up any of them and read them without having to have read any others, each one of them gave you enough back story that you could relate to the characters and understand what was happening. With this one, however, there is much more emphasis on events that occurred in the previous book and in a way it kind of becomes 'Frozen Heat-Part II). Having read that book it doesn't cause me a problem, but I'm not sure if it would be as enjoyable to someone who has not read the previous instalment.
Despite that, I would rate this as one the best of the Nikki Heat books. I will accept that this style of book isn't going to be everyone's liking, but it does make perfect reading if you in the mood for some silly harmless fun that you can lose yourself in; it would make excellent holiday reading, for example. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Deadly Heat' and would recommend this to anyone (assuming they'd read the last one; if not I would say read it AFTER you read 'Frozen Heat')
VINE VOICEon 12 October 2013
Love this series of books, very in keeping with the television series. You can almost hear Castle reading the story to you.
Nikki Heat is torn in this book, between a serial killer who is leaving her messages and between cracking a code left by her murdered Mother. Then to cap it all off one of the agents sent to work on her Mother's murder is an ex of Rook's.
With a few themes reflecting the television series this books are a great companion to the series.
on 14 July 2017
Loved all of it, watched Castle and him and becket come alive in these books, I would say don't read Heat until you have seen Castle on TV. Can't wait to get started on book 6.
on 14 June 2016
As with the previous novels - it's a darn good read.
on 21 November 2015
Can't wait to read the next book
on 3 October 2013
I really loved the Heat series, until now. No, I'm not saying that all of a sudden I've stopped enjoying the books; I'm only saying that Deadly Heat is so predictable that it just makes no sense.

It was the suspense and the mystery that kept the pages turning in the previous novels, and these two elements seem to have gone missing from the latest installment. What's not missing is the humor, but is that enough to keep the reader going?

My first thought, as I finished reading, was that in here we have the same heroes, more or less the same storyline, but a different author, one that's somehow clumsy, as they give away too many clues about most of the villains, and as a result, the expected reading pleasure is nowhere to be found - perhaps Heat can look for it.

When the readers embark on a journey with the words of an author as a vehicle, they expect to be thrilled, or feel simply excited, to get to know inside out the souls of the characters, good or bad, to seek and find all the hidden clues that may or may not lead them to solving the various riddles. Well, that doesn't exactly happen here, and that's a shame.

I don't want to give away any clues because that could ruin the fun for some people but, I will say though, that if the answers are going to be so obvious in almost every single question, then one shouldn't even bother posing any questions at all.

But of course, not all is black. I've already said the humor is quite good and the interactions between Rook and Heat are great too; their chemistry is pretty much alive. They could do with a breath of fresh air though, something that will turn the spark into a flame again. As for the action, that's good too, but it seems to me as though the first couple of episodes of the Castle TV Series would emerge as the big winners in a possible Mexican standoff.

I give the book three stars out of five, because no matter how hard I try I can't say that it's a bad book; it's just bad if compared to the its predecessors. I hope the next one will be better and thus able to restore my faith in the power of team `Heat and Rook' to impress.
on 20 November 2013
I could be extremely biased in giving this book 5*'s purely because I love Castle!!

This is the fifth Nikki Heat novel which ties in to the TV show Castle and follows on from where Frozen Heat ended with Nikki still trying to find the people behind her mother's murder - something which ties in to Beckett's story on the show. Nikki ends up juggling 2 cases, still investigating her mother's case along with a new serial killer that ends up targeting her. This case also bears a resemblance to a case that Beckett and Castle investigated in Season 2 - the 2 part one which had Dana Delany as an FBI agent - where someone targeted Beckett referring her to as Nikki Heat and trying to outsmart her.

There are so many nods to the TV show and to Nathan's time on Firefly. Even going so far as to say that that Nathan fellow would be great to play Jameson Rook in a Hollywood adaptation of his articles about Nikki Heat. Also having two detectives called Malcolm & Reynolds. Plus there are characters in the book using the same names as characters from the show.

Although this series does stand alone as a good read with great storytelling I know that I enjoy them more simply because of my love for the show.

I'd love to know who the actual author is - unless Nathan Fillion has been working hard behind the scenes and has gone method in writing these books!!

Another great Nikki Heat book - they just keep getting better with each one.
It starts with a body in a pizza oven. The man was a health inspector, but he seems to have no enemies. Before Nikki Heat and her team of detectives can begin to make much headway, another dead body shows up with the most bizarre clue tying them together.

Meanwhile, Nikki is still trying to tie up the loose ends in her mother's murder. But one of the people Nikki needs to arrest tries to kill her. As Nikki focuses on that case, she begins to realize there is a reason her mother's murder started heating up last month - whatever she found almost eleven years ago is about to happen. Can she figure it out? How will she juggle these two cases?

Before we go further, I should point out that there is a great recap of the case of Nikki's mother's murder in the first few pages of the book. It was great for me since I was a little rusty. However, if you haven't read the series to date, it will completely spoil the previous book in the series. You have been warned.

I picked up the first book because I'm a fan of Castle, but I kept reading them because I enjoyed them. This is no exception. Outside of Nikki and boyfriend/journalist Rook that characters aren't super developed, but they have enough personality to make things fun. The writing, as always, takes me a few pages to get into, but once I do I get lost in the story.

And what a ride this book is. There are some book twists and always something to keep me turning pages. Honestly, James Patterson could learn a thing or two about plotting from this book.

Obviously, fans of the series will enjoy this book the most. But anyone who enjoys a good mystery will be glad they gave these books a try.
on 19 February 2015
Deadly Heat is the fifth book in the Nikki Heat series by the totally fictitious author Richard Castle (played by the ruggedly handsome Nathan Fillion on the TV show Castle), and as with the previous four it's a damn fine read.

I've now read enough of these books that it's become second nature to imagine the characters as their counterparts from the TV show, and as a result getting into the story is becoming easier and easier. I also think that the author, whoever he or she truly is, has finally found their style and is consequently delivering a much more polished narrative than with the first book or two.

This outing follows on almost immediately from the events of the fourth book Frozen Heat, so it's not as readable as a standalone as the others are. However, there's enough back story exposition given in the first half of the book that doing so wouldn't necessarily leave the reader too confused.

The story itself deals with two cases this time; the first being Nikki Heat's continued search for the man responsible for her mother's murder and the second being the arrival of a serial killer in New York. Both plotlines are handled with plenty of skill, and are woven together in such a way that the reader has to pay attention in order to keep up with the clues as they're thrown out by the author. By the end of the book there have been enough twists and turns along the way to satisfy any reader of modern crime fiction.

As with the rest of tis series I'd certainly recommend it to other fans of crime fiction, as well as to fans of the TV show that spawned these books, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading book six, Raging Heat, next month.
on 28 December 2015
Another quality novel in the series. If you watch the series this is based on you'll understand where the plot comes from. The murder of Kate Beckett's mum and the multi layered investigation into her death provide the basis for the story. The story as a whole runs at a cracking pace and works very well even if you're not a watcher of the TV series Castle