on 12 October 2013
I have to agree with other reviewers that this story could have been told in 3 books. After a good first book, the action practically ground to a halt in the remaining books. This last book was the worst. Hardly surprising since the only thing left to tell us was where Mags had come from. Nothing really happens until the last few pages, which eventually tell us what we want to know. The ending was very rushed as if the author was as bored writing it, as I was, reading it. I'm not entirely sure that the fault lies with the author, as this seems to be quite common for these series. I suspect that the publishers, having got a popular book, want to drag out the series for as many books as possible. I am getting so fed up with this tactic, that I am increasingly reluctant to start reading a new series. In the case of the Collegium Chronicles, if the first book had been as slow as the others, Mags would barely have made it to Haven by the end of the book.
on 16 October 2013
I have read nearly every Mercedes Lackey book written, I thought after the comments readers had posted on prevoius book in The Collegium Chronicles book 4, Miss Lackey may have upped her game as book 4 was full of empty chapters, ramdomly selecting whole tracts of previous titles in this series, and rambling on at great length about kirball games. I am so sorry to say i was incredibly disapointed in Bastion, it was just a novel filled with mundane information on ramdom people who had no impact on the plot, should have rounded up the first 3 books to include the conclusion and left it as a trilogy! Shame loved Mags etc in earlier books, I just feel ripped of not worth the paper printed on let alone the money i paid.
on 22 February 2014
I have to confess that I am a die hard fan of Lackey's books. But this one is not to her credit. Watching paint dry would have been more exciting than this compilation of irrelevant details, meaningless conversations and boring characters. What was bad about part three and four has got even worse in this instalment and if this is the way the author intends to continue I will borrow any new books from the library because they are not worth buying.
The main character wanders aimlessly through a non-existent plot, secondary characters are only decorative with nothing substantial to tell about plot or characters. The whole thing looks and reads like Lackey's exploration of the character from a forgotten notebook. And that is where it should have stayed.
Conclusion: Don't waste your money, reread some earlier books of hers you already have or
on 30 September 2017
From the beginning of the book (Mags' return to Haven) I felt a little underwhelmed by the way the narrative brushed over what should have been an emotional welcoming, especially from this closest friends. It was a slower pace compared the the previous books, with sections of Mags' memories from the first few books taking up pages, which I skipped over, and did not keep me as interested as previous times. I didn't feel satisfied with the ending; finding out about Mags' background was simply disenchanting considering the build up and seemed rushed over.
on 4 January 2017
Excellent book, just like the rest in the series. Only reason it's not a five star is that the proof readers obviously did not do there job properly. Nothing worse than having to check previous chapters or even books to when colours have been swapped or when one character says one thing and later the it's described as being said by another.
on 8 April 2015
A good ending to the series, though I did find the long memory scenes slightly annoying as anyone who is reading book 5 in a series should expect things to be mentioned from earlier books without needing a full repetition! Though I didn't feel that impeded the story at all.
on 24 November 2013
. The Collegium Chronicles - Bastion so we finally find out more about Mags and his past history and his parent. Exciting good action scenes. Nice touch about his friends and how some of the group gets a lesson they needed and the consequences of actions.

A nice addition to Mag's story. But I I presume there is one more book some things where settled but some loose ends need to be sorted. All in all I enjoyed learning more about Mags and his friends but the story for me is not over.
on 9 May 2016
Always keeping the story line interesting following from last book .
Always New twists to keep you reading. It nothing to make you think cannot be done except
Mind reading
on 25 November 2016
I am a fan, I love her world and the characters, thoroughly satisfying read.
on 13 November 2013
This was a well written finish to the story about Mags and his friends, I hope that the Chronicles will carry on with another story about one of the other characters or even about Mags and his newly found relatives. Mercedes brings her world to life it is rich in potential for many more books about the Heralds and Companions