Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 June 2017
Another triumph for the author. Just like the rest of the series. Only reason I've not rated 5* is that the publisher has yet again failed the author by employing sub-standard proof readers. Not many mistakes but highly noticeable due to the fact that the books can now be edited after publication.
on 10 October 2011
I've been waiting for this for ages, and have had it on pre order as a huge fan of the Valdemar series. I settled down with it Friday afternoon, looking forwards to a good read and finding out what happened next...
I finished the book and went back and reread the last few chapters sure I must have missed soemthing, the book leaves so many questions unanswered, and it felt a rushed in places and in others scraped to thin.... if theres not a fourth part to this mini series in Valdemar I am going to feel I have been cheated.
All in all definitely not the best of the lot, and really rather disapointing :-(
on 22 November 2011
I read the two reviews on this site, and then looked at the many on the amazon.com site.

I did wonder whether to buy the book, but I am glad I did. It is a better book than Intrigues, I feel.

Yes, the copy editing could have been much better, but the same can be said of far too many books these days.

And bits of the story do jar badly with things already set out in Foundation. But that sort of thing has also been going on for years now; particularly, it sems, in the fantasy field.

People have said, quite rightly, that Changes does not, in any way, wrap up The Collegium Chronicles. Looking back, I do not see it stated anywhere that this was going to be a trilogy; I suspect most us just assumed that it would be, like most of the other Valdemar books. It starts to look more like a pentalogy (at least) by now.

As to the story itself, yes, it was pretty obvious that one nasty piece of work from the earlier books was going to be heavily involved on the 'wrong' side, and the perhaps frustrating ending was pretty predictable too.

Nevertheless, I still found it a good story and a good read.
on 9 October 2011
Rather too long, without much meat to the story. It feels like a novella or short story that's been stretched into a stand alone book.

Too much about the adolescents' problems and no real moving on of what I suppose is the real story, that of what the foreigners are up to.

Quite a lot of distracting typos.

It doesn't really feel like Lackey's best work - perhaps we've been greedy in wanting so much so fast.

Not worth buying unless, like me you are a die hard Valdemar/Lackey fan, even so I'd have been happier borrowing it from the library and not cluttering up my bookshelves

Sorry Misty
on 10 December 2012
It's an easy and enjoyable enough read.
But the publishers should be ashamed of themselves.
The proofreading is shocking - pretty well non-existent. Typos left, right and centre - and I am not exaggerating. In places sentences are run together making it difficult to understand who is talking to who, misspellings abound, speach marks are misplaced ... and on and on. Having paid full price for this book I am both appalled by the shoddy production standards and annoyed at having coughed up the dosh for such poor workmanship.
on 4 December 2011
This third volume in the Collegium chronicles is well named "Changes". Everything's changing: people's attitudes to the new Collegia, the students' develolping relationships with each other, the roles of Heralds, the very status and nature of Valdemar. Well, everything except the staples of Lackey's excellent writing: tension, mystery, pace, vivid characters and personal development. After a satisfying denouement there are enough hooks left over to keep the reader itching for the next volume. Just wish all these books were available on Kindle!
on 25 April 2014
I have stuck with this series for a 3 books and this one just tipped me over the edge of not reading book 4, although I HATE not finishing series. It is ok, reasonably entertaining but not even in the same planet as her original Valdemar series.
on 17 May 2013
Love Mercedes Lackey but thought this was not up to her usual standard, story was ok but it was almost if a much younger person had written in, of the books in this series not her best
on 19 December 2014
Another very good book from Misty. She has taken Mags, an ex slave in a jewel mine, and created an enthralling story of his life and his friends, and his lives and feelings. Stayed up way too late reading this.
on 27 December 2012
It was a Christmas present for my son and he is very glad. He started reading it at once and hasn't finished yet, so I can't add anything more. He only said that I should read it later