Customer reviews

This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously Dude Dont Touch It
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2015
I saw the film "John dies at the end" a few years ago and thought it was a good, solid comedy/horror movie. I had no idea it was based on a book until my sister got me it for my birthday. I put off reading it for a few months because I'd already seen the film, but it ended up being one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've ever had. I decided to re-watch the film because I loved the book so much and then found myself hating the film. It misses out about 90% of the book, leaving out so many of the best bits and keeping some of the less interesting parts.
Anyway, I was very excited when I got my copy of "This book is full of spiders". As good as it is, it's not entirely what I was expecting. This is more zombies and gore while "John dies at the end" has more of a surreal, twisted and genuinely creepy feel to it.
I feel I might have enjoyed this book more had it not been linked to the prequel, which would have been possible.
There were a lot of nods to the previous book which seemed to be put there purely for advertisement purposes, which pulled me out of the story a bit.
The change of inner monologue between the different characters got a bit tedious, perhaps it was necessary but I much preferred the parts when Dave, John and Amy were together as a group.
I did like the book very much. I didn't fully realize this wasn't going to be the book I was expecting until about 2 thirds of the way, but I did enjoy the read. Still has the horror and the humour but not to the same quality as the first. I would recommend if you were a fan of the previous book.
on 17 October 2012
Contrary to what the other reviewers have said, I feel this book can be read independently. All the back story you need to know is explained. And it really isn't a continuation of the 1st book, as Korrach, the villain of the 1st book doesn't make an appearance, and has no role. I'm not even sure how it ties to the 1st book.

Anyway. The 1st book, John dies at the end was a crazy book. Funny, outrageous. It also had a problem that it ran out of steam at the end, with a confusing ending. Also, the story jumped all over the place.

This book has a more tighter story. Invisible spiders which only the heroes can see start taking over the bodies of people, and turning them into zombie like beings. Obviously the government turns up and blames our guys. Soon they are running from both the government and the spiders.

I found this book a little less funny and crazy than the 1st. Still a great book, I stayed up really late to finish it, but not as funny. But I think it doesn't matter, as the story is better plotted this time. The story is more thrilling and has more suspense/horror.

So give it a try. You will love it.
on 21 December 2012
Let me preface this review by saying that John Dies at the end is one of the best books I've ever read. This book is full of spiders is a good follow up but not great, if the first was a mad sprint through the world of sci-fi/comedy/horror then David Wong has hit his stride and is now running a marathon. All the favourites are back, Amy, John and David are on form (not forgetting Molly of course), we have a new character Detective Falconer who could be a decent recurring character in further books, and the usual madness and mayhem you'd expect but it just seems a bit restrained after the full on insanity of John Dies. Either way I'd highly recommend it, it had me chuckling most of the way through.
on 10 October 2012
I just blitzed this book in about a day and half.

This is the sequel to 'John Dies at the End', cult comedy horror featuring shadow-men, wig-monsters and genitalia. You don't have to have read that book to enjoy this one, but I'd certainly recommend it since it'll add a lot of context to the characters and relationships, and it's just plain great.

For those who don't know, John and Dave are a pair of monumental screw-ups who live in the horribly haunted town of [Undisclosed]. Due to an unfortunate incident with a drug-peddling fake Jamaican, they have the ability to see the various monsters and demons that lurk among us; see them, but not necessarily do anything about them. John Dies at the End followed several of their ham-fisted attempts to combat the encroaching forces of darkness, and managed to be gory, scary, heartfelt and always very, very funny. Seriously, read it.

The last book had a very episodic feel, playing out as three kind of mini-stories rather than one complete one (makes sense, considering that it was originally written and released in installments). This one plays very differently: one error of judgement from our heroes spreads and compounds on itself, into a massive demonic disaster that threatens to engulf the entire world and takes up the entire book. The chapters aren't numbered, instead being framed as countdowns to the next horrific event (and there are a lot of horrific events). While I'm reluctant to give details of exactly what begins to terrorise the town of [Undisclosed], the reactions from around the country are portrayed exactly right. More than once you'll probably find yourself nodding in full agreement: Yep, that's it. That's exactly what people like that would do if that happened (and later on, you may feel guilty for having that particular thought)

While the last book played out entirely from Dave's perspective, this one opens up to include John, his best friend, and Amy, his girlfriend who he met during the events of JDatE. These POV shifts help keep things fresh and allow the reader a chance to keep track of the story as it, like the situation, escalates wildly. Wong displays a very sure hand with pacing and tension: it seems like he has a clock inside his brain that tells him exactly when to insert some game-changing new development to keep the reader hooked in.

The reason it works so well is of course the characters. Wong has grown into writing Dave, John and Amy, and they return like old friends if old friends were just as funny and relatable as you remember them. There are some great new additions too -- action-hero Detective Lance Falconer is a particular highlight.

This book really is hilarious, creepifying, and full (FULL) of spiders. If anything about the description intrigues you then I'd urge you to give it a chance, because it's just intricately put together, funny in all the right ways and all the right places, and I think it deserves to do really well.

And I really, really hate spiders.
on 25 April 2017
Brilliant. Not as funny as the first but still made me chuckle out loud. Would highly recommend. Can't wait for the next in the series.
on 17 February 2014
normally sequel books spend a good part of the book reminding the reader what happened in the first book. this book handles being a sequel very well and either assumes the reader read the first one already or more accurately hopes the reader has not read the first one. Very clever. its a good book, a good read and i'm looking for more to read by david wong!
on 23 May 2017
David weaves intelligent insights into his bizarre and fun narrative. Well worth the read. Avoid if you have arachnophobia duh
on 27 March 2017
Great book, fantastic read
on 6 April 2017
One of my favourite books !! So funny x
on 14 August 2017
Great n exciting, a must read