on 24 March 2017
I really enjoyed this 'roller coaster' novel. (Excuse the pun) It is a well told story about Devin Jones' summer, when he was 21. And so much happened in that year.

The story gets you attached to the main characters very easily, due to King's brilliant writing skills. Which leads you to a very climatic ending which leaves you shocked and amazed!
on 2 March 2017
I read quite a few books by Stephen King when I was younger. They always made feel like I knew Maine very well, even though I've never set foot in America.
This was the first crime novel of his that I've read however. And it is just as stunning as his other works. I can't recommend this highly enough.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2013
I have not read a huge number of Stephen King novels so I came to this book with a fairly open mind; although because it was published by Hard Case Crime I had anticipated that it would be a crime novel.

Heartbroken Dev Jones lands a Summer job at an old fashioned theme park called Joyland. It's rumoured that the House of Horrors is haunted by a young woman who was murdered. Dev becomes more and more interested in the story and with the help of a young boy and some of the other summer workers; he attempts to find out what happened.

This is the basic outline but the book is more a coming-of-age novel with a fantastic setting and a great cast of supporting characters. I thought the crime was in some ways incidental and would have just been happy with the haunting as an extra detail in the background. The real highlight of this book for me was the quality of the writing and the storytelling which enabled me to be swept away. For me, this book was pure escapism with a good strong ending.
on 22 June 2014
This isn't a typical King horror story, no supernatural elements to it. However, it's typical King in terms of the strong characters, tight plotting and emotional punch. It reminds me most of Stand by me and therefore is a book I'd heartily recommend.
on 1 April 2017
EXCELLENT!
on 25 May 2017
happy with product
on 19 June 2015
well up to his usual standard. Very enjoyable read.
on 9 June 2017