on 25 January 2017
Joyland is a book quite unlike any Stephen King novel that I have previously read. Personally I think that King's work is getting better and better, Joyland, written in 2012, is a wonderful example of this.
This book outlines the tradition of King as a horror / fantasy writer into a writer of thriller novels and personally I think that he is one of the greatest authors of thrillers that I have ever had the privilege of reading. I look forward to reading more of his books and waiting with bated breath for King to write more and more thrillers in the future.
on 24 March 2017
I really enjoyed this 'roller coaster' novel. (Excuse the pun) It is a well told story about Devin Jones' summer, when he was 21. And so much happened in that year.

The story gets you attached to the main characters very easily, due to King's brilliant writing skills. Which leads you to a very climatic ending which leaves you shocked and amazed!
on 6 July 2017
A superb story. I particularly liked the way King highlighted the plight of a boy with Muscular Dystrophy. Any of these conditions that come under this banner are life changing and King explores the various issues about how the disease impacts on the person and those around him with insight and understanding. Yes it's a crime book but actually it explores more than just crime. It explores relationships and human interaction. Thank you, Stephen King, for such a beautiful book.
on 2 March 2017
I read quite a few books by Stephen King when I was younger. They always made feel like I knew Maine very well, even though I've never set foot in America.
This was the first crime novel of his that I've read however. And it is just as stunning as his other works. I can't recommend this highly enough.
on 18 August 2017
Came across this book by accident when searching for a different Stephen King book. Have been a fan of the author for 30 years and this one probably escaped my notice because sounded more crime drama than horror. However this has been a joy to read. SK's recent Bill Hodges trilogy cemented for me his skill in combining psychological thriller, crime and horror very skilfully; Joyland for me is a precursor to this albeit a shorter read (but SK is a master of short stories!).
I don't like spoilers so in a nut shell I will say I liked the characters, the nostalgic feel of 70s America, the neat twist in the tale and just that hint of horror. Was a gripping, page turning read - enjoy.
on 19 January 2016
This a "real" Stephen King book....simple but gripping plot....believable and very likeable characters (this helped by the characters little personal asides that SK does so very well) . Read it and enjoy!!!!
on 25 October 2013
I'm a big fan of SK, but felt that some of his recent books were disappointing. This one has turned it round, in my opinion. A short book, set on a summer in an amusement park, it's is part crime, part ghost story, part romance and I really enjoyed it. The characters and setting are vintage SK. Well worth a read, and I imagine this might gain the author a few new fans.
on 22 June 2014
This isn't a typical King horror story, no supernatural elements to it. However, it's typical King in terms of the strong characters, tight plotting and emotional punch. It reminds me most of Stand by me and therefore is a book I'd heartily recommend.
on 20 August 2014
What can I say that has not been said about the man who is often called King of Horror. I say he may be so but he has grown and learned not to just speed our heart beat, he has learned to squeeze it until it bleeds tears.
on 29 May 2017