Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2013
Mr.King is back to his best. This is a story in the style of the Green Mile (one of my all time favourite Stephen King stories). It is a moving, scary and uplifting tale that stays with you long after reading it. Stephen King, it's good to have you back to your best. Roll on Doctor Sleep later in the year!
on 15 March 2014
I really enjoyed reading this, despite that various unpleasant things happen in the story. Although I am completely opposed to any idea that the supernatural can be real, SK writes so well that I can suspend disbelief.
on 3 March 2016
Though not the most action-packed, I found myself strangely engrossed, enjoying watching the plot gradually unfold. A nice light read.
on 18 June 2013
A nice little read from Stephen King, with a good mix of suspense, nostalgia and a sympathetic narrator. Well rounded characters too, but the last few pages seemed to be a little hurried to me. That's my only quibble though
on 28 September 2013
A sense of humbleness threads throughout this great read.
I will always be inspired by the depth and richness of the novels by Stephen King.
He turns reality to magic, long may he continue.
Thanks Mr King
on 10 July 2013
I am an avid Stephen King fan and I pre-ordered this book. Bit disgruntled to see that it has already dropped in price but that's the risk you take and I was really excited to be receiving this as soon as it was available. I know that Mr King deviated a little from his usual genre with this being a crime story. I still expected it to be as interesting and compelling as most of his other books-I was disappointed. Not only did it fail to raise the goosebumps and eerie fascination of his other work but I felt it also failed to succeed as a crime/mystery story as well.
There was a limited amount of characters so it was very easy to guess who the murderer was and even the investigation of the murder was laid out as a "fait accompli" rather than allowing the reader to investigate and gradually learn the facts of the case at the same time as one of the characters (which would have been more stimulating and intriguing). I also never really gelled with Devin, the main character. He was supposed to be suffering from a broken heart but, as a reader, I felt like, instead of being allowed to sense this and relive the emotions with Devin, this fact was instead battered over my head and constantly referred to. Saying he had a broken heart felt the same as saying he had blue eyes for all the empathy it aroused in me.
Despite this not being a horror novel, the theme and fairground aspect of the novel did give King a marvellous opportunity to introduce an element of the macabre into the book. However, the ghost was as lacklustre as the rest of it.
I did like the character of the little boy, Mike and this aspect of the book was quite poignant. I also quite liked the description of fairground life/work and some of the language. I would have given this book 3 stars normally but I expect a higher standard from Stephen King so I only gave it 2. He should definitely stick to writing horror/psychological thrillers. I think he never even got into second gear with this and I expect much better from Doctor Sleep when it is available (I won't be pre-ordering again though!)
on 30 July 2013
I made this one last. Read it in a month. Not at all predictable, not much horror, Stephen focuses on building up all the characters and produces a thrilling whodunit. I wish I could go back a month and start it again.
on 24 September 2013
This is an unusual book from Mr King, it's a beautiful story of a young man growing up. It actually made me cry!!
on 9 June 2013
What you get with Joyland are the decades Mr. King as put in at his desk - perfecting the medium of the written word? Partly, what you get above anything else - love him or hate him - is a craftsman demonstrating the art of storytelling; and an ordinary guy who just loves his job.

Read Joyland in a few hours. 10/10.
on 11 December 2014
This is probably the most boring SK novel I have ever tried to read (I'm a constant reader and even I skimmed the final third)...what should've been a (very) short story is fleshed out so much it becomes a bloated tale of someone's life where some not very interesting things happen ,in meticulous detail, with a couple of SK cliches thrown in. Hated it, didn't expect much from 'Revival' either which references Joyland but that book was fantastic.