Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 October 2013
Judge Dredd normally reserves its wow factor for the latest wagner penned epic, not this time though.

Appearing in the weekly "prog" dredd,the simping detective and low life were running stories that were as usual good and featuring many of my favourite characters at the same time making that particular run enjoyable as normally i'd just read dredd and that'd be it... then something amazing happened the three strips suddenly became one in a masterstroke of writing it all tied in and we realised we were getting a mega epic so soon after the day of chaos ...

I wont give any plot details but you have dirty frank,a one eyed ,insane undercover tramp-judge a private detective whos another undercover judge but lives the part a little too deeply and old stickler pants dredd . Throw in a sensitive klegg alien a talking shark and someone with a fetish for tea and biccies its simply awesome and one of the best dredd tales ever and how carl critchlow managed to pull all the pieces together in the massive finale is a major show of his talent.

my only gripe was frazer irving not present on the simping detective parts as I loved his art in the first outings for jack point and it just misses the charm ...

buy this book and enjoy
on 10 November 2013
A great story made up of 3 seemingly unrelated tales that all comes together at the end. A cool villain - Mr Overdrive - who could resist a shark in a business suit? Dredd is Dredd and he holds it all together but equal billing goes to Dirty Frank and the Simping Detective. Varying art styles but all making the overall story richer for it. Anyway the contributors and synopsis can be read elsewhere but suffice to say this is certainly not a one star effort! One star reviewer you should be ashamed of yourself - one plot hole as perceived by you is enough to make the entire story, artwork, wonderful presentation and value for money mean nothing? Anyway 5 stars from me for being all round great comic entertainment.
on 24 March 2014
Great book,awesome art work.I love any dirty frank stories and this is a very good dirty frank story,I haven't read many jack point stories,but this was very good.I read some off the story in 2000ad but had to stop buying the mag and I was very pleased to see it on the kindle.I have also bought the book.very pleased.
on 7 February 2014
a very dazed and confused judge dredd story, but well worth following in all the twists and turns that make up this storyline. it's a story of politics within the hall of justice and the role of what makes a good judge
on 13 September 2013
Highly recommend for fans of judge dredd. Artwork and story superbly done,judge dredd just gets better and better.Such clear pictures. So for all you judge dredd fans buy this graphic novel.
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2014
While the conceit of a crossover with other stories from the originating anthology was decent enough - if appropriated from earlier UK comics such as the younger readers title Sonic The Hedgehog (not the Archie series) - the execution suffers from an unfortunate disparity between the individual stories that results in an uneven gestalt.
The main Dredd strand is strongly-plotted and manages to garner mileage from the usually unconvincing "Dredd is heavily injured" trope, while the Low Life section is heavily reliant upon coincidence and the readers' tolerance for the continuous accidental successes of its buffoon protagonist Dirty Frank, though this approach in itself is admirable as it requires tight plotting to maintain. The problem for me was the Simping Detective strand, which I found smug, unfunny, and often unbearable, and I found myself skipping the main character's narrative captions after the first few episodes and didn't miss a story beat because of doing so, giving me the impression that much of this plot strand was padded out more than it needed to be. I am also struggling to understand why the pun "Simping Detective" has been used on anything in the 21st century, as it ceased to be relevant about twenty years before the end of the 20th century - I know there's a running joke about 2000ad being dated and bought only by men in their fifth decades, but this seems to stretch the point a little too far.
Trifecta seems to have been very well-received even by outlets like Comics Alliance who as far as I can tell don't report on 2000ad at any other time, so I suppose a cynic might suggest that they were either grasping for content or were the subject of good PR work when they were gushing praise for what is in all honesty a work that's only about 50-60 percent good and not a patch on other Dreddworld epics such as the recent Day Of Chaos, which I gather this story is a sequel to of sorts. The overall lack of consistency would dissuade me from recommending this to any newcomers to Dreddverse stories when there are numerous versions of America or The Apocalypse War available, but I would give it a middling rec to those already familiar, as the format lends it a curiosity value that they might find charming.
on 23 May 2014
I have only recently re-discovered 2000ad and Old Joe after being a huge collector in my teens. So I missed the original run - must have been very coolto read the 3 stories and see them eventually link into one arc.Great art work - which is only to be expected.

With the current Comic Book TV revival - this would make an awesome series.
on 26 December 2013
While the story itself is absolutely fantastic, the ebook itself is a very poor effort. Huge borders at the top and bottom of the screen on a 7" tablet and no way to zoom in apart from on individual panels. You have no idea how much of a pain swiping through a complete book panel by panel actually is. Ended up reading it on my PC but I feel this book could do with being scanned again at a much higher resolution to do it justice. On the positive side, only cost me £1.29 so I definitely got my moneys worth!
on 22 May 2014
Great story and great characters .Dredd at his dead pan best, and dirty Frank to keep him company plus sharks.
on 23 January 2014
Very good read .good story Though not a typical Dredd story but still keeps the reader interested,could be likened to very early Judge Stories which appeared as support for other comic stories.