on 25 July 2013
I have read a little about shamanism in the past and having walked very regularly along the deer (and other animal) pathways, this book appealed to me.

Elen Sentier has a wonderful way of communicating the history and essence of our inter-connection with nature and 'Mother Earth'. The book softly puts us in our place amongst (and certainly not above) the animals, plants and minerals etc., explaining how we all make up the cycles and flows of life-energy which our ancestors were much more closely connected to - and which much of modern life has lost touch with. There is a peace in this understanding and an important message for humanity.

The book is wise, up-lifting and written with kindness and spirit. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in reconnecting themselves with more Earthly things than the materialistic, worryingly unsustainable lifestyles that most of us find ourselves in today.
on 6 November 2016
Very little is known about Elen of the Ways.
It was explained to me that she is a very elusive Goddess that needs to be experienced first hand.
But having said that this book takes you back to when she was widely known by the people who worked with her on a regular basis, which I might add Elen Sentier still does.
A thoroughly interesting read which is also very thought provoking. You will never look at the natural world around in the same way after reading this.
Highly recommended.
on 30 March 2015
A beautifully written work that is packed full of wisdom, knowledge, ancient history and spirituality!
It takes you back to the ancient Boreal Forests that covered most of the Northern hemisphere and links these in to places in the modern world and how they have changed. The lovely meandering tale and journey makes you feel you can connect our ancestors of old who walked the deer trod. I have followed a shamanic path for apporx 5yrs now and this book has opened up a whole new pathway for me, along which i feel much more comfortable. If you enjoy the forests and rivers, lakes and streams then this book is for you. I would definitely recommend this to anyone studying a traditional British/Celtic Pagan path.
on 24 September 2016
I love that it's an invitation/suggestion, not an instruction/command. I look forward to investigating other books by this author. Thank you.
on 14 May 2017
Good
on 6 June 2017
Love this, wonderful insight on why we need to slow down. I look forward to meeting my non human neighbours.
on 11 January 2014
Couldnt really engage with this one, I was looking for a much more experiential story. Not easy for me to rate it correctly as I couldnt finish reading it, found it hard going.
on 2 August 2013
This book is not big but is packed full of insightfulness and wisdom. Archaeology, ancient history, spirituality and modern life are all in this little book, from the ancient Boreol Forest that covered a large proportion of the Northern hemisphere to the tribes that still follow the deer trods, be they the Sami people and their reindeer or the Native tribal people in North America or Canada. You can feel the connection with our ancient ancestors of this part of the world, when reading the book. Most enjoyable, especially if you enjoy walking in the woods and forests. I would definitely recommend this to anyone Pagan who lives in northern realms.
on 12 December 2013
This book was ok but I found it quite basic really.. quite a nice read.. but i felt i didnt learn anything new from it.
on 22 October 2013
This book is a weaving, wandering tale incorporating the author's own experiences alongside historical information and background info on some specific parts/places in the North of Britain. There are gems of insight and inspiration scattered within, however I often found it difficult to reach them as the text in between could be less engaging. The ordering of the chapters and sections is a little sporadic, with the most interesting bits (in my opinion) towards the end when clearer detail is given regarding the author's path and how the reader could begin to follow in similar footsteps (or trods).

I wouldn't say this is a very clear introduction to Elen, but then again it doesn't promise to be. It felt as if there was an assumption that the reader already has an understanding of what 'Elen's Ways' are; but if you already have some experience of this Goddess or similar traditions it is possible to follow regardless.

What this book is however, is is a varied chronicle of the experiences and opinions of the author whose relationship with Elen is deep and clearly well established; inspiring for those already walking the deer trods.