on 9 March 2014
There's a lot of information in this book, and for most devoted fans, of which I am one, that will be enough. There is a lot of information about dates and places, and all the writers and each of the actors have a section complete with their 'stage-ography', and seemingly heavily edited contributions and thoughts from the actors themselves. All the actors have a section, even the minor ones, but it's all rather shallow. You can't help feeling that there's a tale to be told from behind the scenes about this very long-running show but that nobody's going to tell it. There are quite a few not very funny 'a funny thing happened during this episode' reminiscenses. Some seemingly rather cruel practical jokes played on each other, and how they were all a great big, happy family. I got the feeling that that this is their story and they're sticking to it, but perhaps it's just me.
It seems to have been written in something of a hurry, but although some of the writing is eye-wateringly bad it's very good on the history. We are told where it was filmed and why. Which writers dropped-out and who replaced them and what effect this had on the overall dynamics of the show (and you've sometimes got to read between the lines for this). The future careers of all involved and the successes of the stage versions of Allo Allo, which toured extensively both in the UK and abroad, are discussed.
I enjoyed reading this book in spite if it's flaws, and I'm sure that any fan of Allo Allo will enjoy it.
9 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2013
I loved all the programs on the television. Then I purchased all the full set of the DVD's and now this book. I am reading it for the second time and I am still learning things I did not know about the cast, directors and all the other pepole involed with this great set of programs. Anyone who liked the series they will like this book. I have it on my reader so I can read it when ever I get a chance.
on 7 August 2013
I was very pleased with this as there were plenty of comments by the actors and the writers and I also liked that the book mentions where certain episodes were filmed. The book also looks at the 2007 reunion special.
on 5 April 2016
Great book of the flawless comedy
on 16 January 2013
This is a series I love and have got everything on DVD. I found this book a great addition as it went behind the scenes and made me aware of things I didn't know.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 22 February 2016
Fine
on 21 March 2015
everything and more i wanted to know a great read
on 15 February 2015
Birthday gift for my husband and he is thrilled (he gave me the star rating). Whilst writing this I can hear him laughing out loud in the chair behind me.
on 13 October 2016
Pretty interesting, beautifully written, well-detailed. Love it!
on 1 February 2015
very pleased with book and service