on 4 December 2014
I have bought this for my 14 year old daughter who is really into fashion and buying vintage clothes. We have bought her a sewing machine this year for Christmas, she is a complete novice. This book is excellent for a beginner as it shows step by step, in picture, what to do to achieve the end result. Some great ideas in there for a teen (not so sure about anyone over 20) but a really really nice book. I think it's great to give you inspiration to go on to making your own ideas and creations. My daughter will love it .
on 27 February 2014
This book is great for a start out novice dressmaker to customise clothes and shoes etc

A lot of the projects are freely available on line so unless you want something tangible in your hands its not a must have buy.

As a dressmaker I found the book lacking slightly but that's because of my skills I guess rather the book itself. I did find the book inspiring though, nice photos and a good read. It is just a shame we don't have the endless supply of thrift shops as in the UK charity shops are lacking in general!
on 18 November 2012
I am an avid reader of Geneva's blog and could not wait to get my hands on a copy of her debut book - DIY Fashionista. I was not disappointed. As with her blog, the book is beautifully presented, with 40 easy to follow projects on items that, if not in your wardrobe, are easily found in the local second hand shop. Even better is that the book identifies and clearly sets out all the skills, products and tips one needs to professionally DIY virtually anything! Have already organised numerous crafternoons to get my DIY on.
5 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2013
Loved her blog when I saw it, most of the stuff in the blog is actually in this book, so a lot of it is repeated if you are an avid follower of the blog.
Some very good ideas, and inspirational, probably a good idea for someone who hasn't got a sewing machine, as she suggests a fair bit of hand stitching and some easy steps.

A good buy.
on 30 September 2013
this book can probably be perfect for someone with no clue on how to do things but for everybody else is a waste of money!most of projects are very basic and not very creative (maybe there are just a couple of projects that i would do) but if you really don t have any idea is a good point to start.
on 19 March 2014
The cover of this is a perfect image for the contents of the book. Simple and basic. The instructions aren't even that well planned out and they can be found on her website for free. Waste of money.
on 2 October 2015
Very inspiring. I have a pair of boots I was going to throw out but now I shall salvage them and upcycle.
on 22 October 2017
Useful book. Thanks
on 22 April 2016
Such a good book! Amazing blogger and amazing book!
on 27 December 2014
Love this book, lovely ideas for costumising clothes and shoes with nice pictures and clear instructions. A very good buy.