on 7 August 2017
Great read Recommended.
on 19 October 2017
Brilliant.
on 13 November 2015
Excellent writing. Obsevent, witty. A must read.
on 21 June 2016
I have read all of Graham's books to date and loved them all. He has a nice honest and open writing style that appeals to me - easy reading and full of nice little personal observations and quirky little saying. When he preoduces another book I'll be one of the first to read it.
on 6 April 2017
Graham describes his trip from the UK all the way to Mongolia. After reading Ureka, and enjoying the read so much, I bought this one immediately after finishing Ureka.
Graham makes a good job at travel writing. This book is as enjoyable as Ureka. His style really takes us with him. We live the trip though him.
I definitely recommend this book.
on 7 April 2017
Very good reed.
on 24 April 2017
Graham is a really funny character and this book allows him to express his thought and opinions on the road, a really interesting read and thoroughly enjoyed it. For anyone who doesn't listen to the ARR podcast, Graham makes a guest appearance now and again which is also really worth a listen. Hope you back recovers Graham so you can get back on the road and write more books!
on 13 April 2017
An amazing book that really gives hope to people on a more realistic budget that you can do the trip of your dreams.
I also loved the authors honesty about the trip and any complaints about this trip of a lifetime were made in a tongue in cheek and totally self aware way. This is unlike a certain more expensive motorcycle trip to pass through Mongolia...
Finally the amazing descriptions of Kazakhstan, Mongolia and South Korea in particular bring the areas to life and will definitely make you want to pack your bags!
on 26 October 2015
It's a good story but I found the writing style (present tense affirmative) detracted hugely from the narrative - I get on my bike. I ride my bike. I get off my bike. It may be that the author wanted to give the impression of being there with him in the moment, but it drove me up the wall! If you're writing about something that you've done then keep to the past tense Graham, please!
on 29 June 2012
I'm not normally a reader of travel books and having seen the project planned, sponsored and made with a tv crew trips, I thoight this sort of story had been well told. But Graham's tale is much more than that. This is a funny, poignant, thought provoking and thougherly inspirational story of a genuine adventure in (what we believe is) a modern world.
If you are a motorcycle rider and if, like me, you have attempted journeys of reasonable distance you will connect with Graham's quirky but practicle approach to over coming obstacles. If you are some who likes the notation of travelling into somewhat unknown territory and situations, albeit with a little advance planning (or Russian maps) and finding that human spirit and kindness still matter more (to some) than material things, then you will enjoy this book. I particularly enjoyed the issues with group dynamics and what to do if you find your travelling companions a pain in the ass - been there done that.
This was a motor cycling and literary highlight of a dismal British summmer so far for me.
Having met Graham I know that another trip is in the planning stage and if that is recorded in print with the same passion and humour as this one it will be a book I look forward to reading.