Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 June 2017
Eighteen months ago, Saffron Mackleroy's husband was stabbed by a killer that is still walking free leaving behind her and their two children. However, just as life starts to get back under control, events happen the causes the control to evaporate. Aunt Betty moves in due to being kicked out of her residential home after getting caught being intimate with a fellow resident on the manager's desk, her fourteen year old daughter has a revelation that will have Saffron second guessing everything she ever thought and as if all that wasn't enough, her husband's killer has started writing to her every day with content that terrifies Saffron.

This was my first adventure into Dorothy Koomson's writing but several of my friends had suggested some of her works and I am glad that I listened to the recommendation. Without giving away too much of the plot because it's one of those stories you just have to read, I applaud Koomson for how full she managed to make this novel. There are twists and turns at every corner, it's full to the brim with amazing characters and she has enough sub-plots that there is no opportunity for the reader to become bored with “The Flavours of Love”. Only one of the plots irritated me at the time and that was Saffron's bulimia. It seemed to come out of nowhere several chapters into the books so I found myself wondering if it was an afterthought but now I have re-read the blurb I can see that Koomson fully intended for Saffron to have that secret so it was probably just me.

The highlight of this novel was the layout of the chapters. It was apparent that the epicentre of the novel was the day that Saffron lost her husband Joel and Saffron had dubbed it as That Day. So each chapter would inform you of how many days, weeks, months, or years before or after That Day did the action happen. For example, the first chapter that uses it is “16 years before That Day”. Koomson cleverly uses the flashback technique to show us Saffron's life with Joel so that he is real to us and we can imagine the pain that Saffron is going through knowing that his killer is still out of there.

“The Flavours of Love” may have been my first Dorothy Koomson novel but it definitely will not be my last.
on 19 June 2017
Yet another fantastic book by Dorothy Koomson, great story and really does bring the characters to life. Love all of her books as they are easy to read but grip you from the start
on 20 August 2017
Having invested time reading a book, I hate to give in but I am so bored with this book. I got to 45 per cent and can't go any further. So long drawn out and unnecessary, I just wish it would either get to the point or end. Same old, same old. I have just finished the Rose Petal Beach having really enjoyed it, but this is the same old format and very tedious. I am sorry I wasted so much time hoping it would be interesting and improve.
on 2 March 2014
I really enjoyed this. I'm a big fan of Dorothy Koomson, and always look out for her new releases. The last couple I haven't enjoyed as much as her earlier work, but I felt this was most definitely a return to earlier form. The characters were likeable and you could really identify with them. Just a shame I bought it as an e-book, as I would loved to have lent this to my Mum!
on 7 May 2017
Great read hard to put down! Koomson really does know how to weave a story! A great author that keeps you guessing!
on 3 December 2016
This is another page turning book never quite know what will happen next, beautifully and sensitively written
I can't wait to read another of Dorothy. Books
on 18 June 2017
A well-written story which held my interest all the way through. The problems encountered by the main characters were all believable and had been well-researched. Dorothy Koomson is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Most enjoyable.
on 21 September 2017
Quite a good read. At times I laughed out loud other times I was a bit bored.
on 13 July 2017
Just finished this book and it has kept me interested from the beginning to the end. I found it very moving.
on 7 September 2017
It kept going backwards and forwards in time which I found very frustrating. The main character was seriously annoying as was her eating disorder and her lack of coping mechanisms. I don't know why I kept going to the end.