Customer reviews

The Rose Petal Beach
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2017
The first book I have read in a long time where I was desperate to rush the book to get to the end, but forced myself not to 'cheat' - I did not expect the ending, and it enhanced the book.
on 28 July 2017
I have read a few Dorothy Koomson books before, and, after finishing a pretty heavy sci-fi book, I wanted an interesting, easy read with a twist. I had this on my Kindle, so I started it next.

The stories main characters are Tami and Scott. They have been dating since teenagers at school, where Tami is bookish, quiet and from a respectable family and Scott is from a local family known as troublemakers, racists and are always getting in trouble with the law. The couple fall in love, marry, (without their families' support), become successful businesspeople and have 2 daughters.

Then, one night, Tami’s life is turned upside down when Scott is arrested for sexual assault. As if this wasn’t bad enough for Tami and Scott, the accuser is Tami’s best friend and Scott’s work colleague. We find Tami backed into a corner, unsure what to think and she is forced to choose who she instinctively believes. Things then take a dramatic turn for the worst and the ensuing story explores the ripples which are caused from this event. The emotions are experienced and explored from the point of view of everyone involved in different chapters.

I felt that the character’s were well developed and typical of Dorothy Koomson's writing style. The story was enough to keep me interested and reading more but it did feel a bit longer than it needed to be. As with most stories of this type, we are given various red herrings throughout the book as to who was responsible for the crimes committed and we have to wait until almost the final chapter to find out.

I disliked both Tami and Scott and maybe that was why I didn’t love this book. There was also a couple of characters that made me question why they were there as I felt that they didn’t really have much impact on the storyline. I felt that this was a nice, easy read but not amazing.
on 6 June 2017
We are introduced to Tami and Scott as teenagers at school. She is bookish, quiet and from a "respectable" family. He is from a local family known as troublemakers, racists and not afraid of the local constabulary who know the family well. Years pass and they eventually fall in love and marry, without their families' support. They make a good life for themselves in Brighton, becoming successful businesspeople with 2 lovely daughters. All is going swimmingly well until one night, out of the blue the police arrive to arrest Scott for the attempted rape of one of Tami's closest friends. The ensuing story explores the ripples which are caused from this event; the emotions experienced are explored from the point of view of everyone involved. Every character is well developed, typical of Dorothy Koomson's unique writing style. The final chapters are a revelation as we are given various red herrings throughout the book as to who was responsible for the crimes committed. Buy it now! You won't be disappointed.
on 11 December 2016
This book dragged on and on and on. I kept on reading convinced that it would all be worth it eventually , it wasn't ! I have read and enjoyed other books by the same author but unfortunately I don't think I will be reading any more. A rather disjointed and altogether boring novel.
on 11 June 2017
I did not enjoy this book. It did not"flow" for me - much of the long winded description was irrelevant to the narrative, and could have been omitted. The constant changing of points of view was irritating. Not for me, I'm afraid.
on 27 June 2017
The writing is good, and I loved hearing the innermost thoughts of most of the main characters, even though occasionally they were a tad too similar. There was also a really good unexpected twist at the end. Over all a very enjoyable book, and one I looked forward to picking up whenever I could, and one I found hard to tear myself away from once I picked it up.
on 8 June 2017
still `plodding` along with this novel ! I feel it is somewhat long winded & some of the story could have been shortened in particular in middle of the story. However I am going to continue reading in the hope it will hold a surprise which up to now I have to say it hasn't ! The sad thing is this is first time I have read any books by this author & it has not encouraged me to read anymore.
on 30 April 2017
Just finished this book and was happy to get to the end of it. It could have been cut by about 30%. It kept going back and forwards And the characters in the book kept 'talking to themselves'! The storyline wasn't bad but a lot could have been left out. This is the first Dorothy Koomson book I have read but it has put me off reading others if they are written in the same way.
on 8 October 2017
Another great book by Dorothy Koomson. I love the way the story unfolds and the story gets deeper and deeper with twists and turns all the way through. It starts with drama brings in the intricacies of everyday lives and you feel that you are in the story with all the characters, searching for the answers and solutions with them. A really great read.
on 18 November 2016
A very well written book. Was the main character, Tami, believable or not? Could I do what Tami did, could you? I don't know, but the writer certainly made me think about the whole story. It is achingly beautiful in places and draws the reader in. Definitely one to recommend to friends.