on 12 December 2013
As a mere mortal, I found this book excellent reading. It provided the best explanation and effects of the Higgs boson and field I have read so far. In parts it was not an easy read, no doubt due to the almost unbelievable concepts involved in quantum theory. However, in general, it provided a not too difficult account for the layman to read. The history of the lead up to and working of the LHC was most interesting.

I look forward to the next episode as the results of further tests at the LHC become available.

Well done Sean
on 11 March 2014
Plenty of good stuff which goes beyond the fairly trivial reporting you get from most news reports, but if someone asked me over a pint exactly why thousands of physicists were celebrating at CERN I still don't think I could give them a sensible answer. I guess modern physics is so bizarre that no author can come up with real-world analogies which truly illuminate matters. And I suspect the politicians who agreed to pour zillions of dollars into the LHC were probably hoping for a more clear-cut outcome than a small kink in a graph.
on 1 April 2014
I thought the man who discovered the particle was called Higgs Boson. I Just wanted to know a little more about the subject. I started reading this book in a book shop and was addicted. It is the most amazing book I have ever read and for laymen such as I it was an education. It has inspired me to read on further about the subject of particle physics etc and I wish I had found it earlier. Absolutely superb. Well done Prof Peter Higgs and sean Carroll I hope there is more to come.
on 19 February 2014
I attended Sean Carroll's Royal Institution lecture and then bought the book. A very good, though at times challenging, read. One minor point of correction: Higgs could not have returned to his "native" Scotland as he was born in Newcastle to an English father and a Scottish mother. This surely makes him a "native" of England; though he has spent most of his working life in Scotland (much of it at my old university of Edinburgh).
on 6 January 2014
An excellent read. For someone like me who is an avid physics reader but doesn't like equations, then this book hits the spot. It is written in a way which suggests the author has hit the mark with his target audience. The end of the book does go into higher levels of theory but even if you miss this part you will still understand what all the fuss was about. Highly recommended.
on 20 January 2014
This is an excellent book for the interested non-technical person who is looking for a well written up-to-date review of the results from the CERN LHC Experiments.It is not mathematically demanding BUT demands huge leaps in imagination when one tries to comprehend, for example, the role of the Higgs boson and its associated field on what we perceive as the real world.
on 27 September 2013
I'm an A Level student and going on to physics next year, and this fits perfectly into the gap between an undergrad textbook and a dumbed-down popular science book, whilst still being a good read with some lovely stories to tell. One of the best physics book I've read, and I would recommend to anyone, I dare say someone with no prior knowledge could still enjoy this!
on 3 April 2014
I am only 30% through this book but it is sooooo interesting! And easy to follow, given the subject matter. Clear, well written, and one of the biggest stories of the last hundred years, I'm loving it. Good price from thjs supplier too.
on 14 December 2013
This is the best book that I have read on particle physics and quantum mechanics. It explains the relevant theoretical physics and also the relevant experimental physics carried out at CERN.

Well worth reading.
on 1 January 2013
A very readable book, suitable for those with absolutely no knowledge of particle physics, but equally, very illuminating for those that do also.