on 18 February 2017
I LOVE this book :-) because it tells you exactly what you need to do to feel better about yourself, through food and vitamins!!!! I first found out about Rachel by stumbling across her second book, ‘Walking on Sunshine’, I was completely blown over. There in this hidden gem, are daily anecdotes that really inspired me to feel better. It was if the book had a magic potion attached to it. I would wake, my brain feeling rather cloudy, after some exercise, I would pick up the book and read it over breakfast. By the time I finished reading and eating, I was ready for a brand new day. I must also add that it helped me overcome a hugely challenging moment in my life.

Walking on Sunshine has this innate ability to make you feel like you are completely surrounded by love. Such is the power of the author. And because you know she had to go on this journey of healing, in order to lift out of the challenging moments she herself had faced, makes the read all the more worthwhile. It is this authenticity about the author that makes her such a compelling force. She writes from truth. Her truth. Her writing isn’t a fad, it’s honest, inspiring anecdotes, that Rachel had to find within herself, in order to survive. I feel so immensely proud that she not only found the strength to get through that time, but had the grace of heart to want to write and share these health giving tips, to us. In the hope that we would feel better about whatever situation we are facing.

Other cook books or medical books explain things in ways that always seem to leave me feeling confused. Where as in the “Happy Kitchen' the authors give you the ingredients and necessary information and then recap it at the end of the page, to make it understandable to 'dim wits' like myself. Not only did I find this an inspiring read, it has given me key insights into vitamins, minerals and foods that can help me live a more happier and balanced existence within the chaos of a city structure. It even has a chart detailing when fruits and vegetables are in season!!!!! It’s these simple things that can help us nurse our way back to optimum health. The recipes are Delicious, I haven’t done all of them yet!!!! But I have to say the chocolate brownies are the beeeesssttttttt!!!! :-)

The Happy Kitchen equals A Happy Life, for me anyway!!!! Genius is in the Simplicity. Thank you once again Rachel Kelly.
22 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
As a registered nutritional therapist and having my own personal experience with anxiety and depression I have found this book invaluable. It is beautifully written and photographed. Rachel's approach is very realistic and she shares her own personal journey throughout the book. I particularly like that the recipes are based on sound research and endorsed by nutritional therapist Alison Mackintosh. The book is divided into 7 chapters focussing on different aspects of mental health e.g. Beating the Blues, Mental Clarity, Sweet Dreams and Comfort Food so you can dip into the section relevant to how you are feeling. Within each chapter there are recipes marked "feeling fragile" when you need something quick and easy to make. I have 2 teenage children and they have loved the recipes too - our favourites so far - Salmon & Prawn Teriyaki Skewers, Satisfying Prawn Penne with Broccoli, Walnut & Rocket Pesto, Cinnamon, Almond and Lamb Curry, Tropical Vitamin C Smoothie, Warming Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry and Chicken Pie - quite a good selection!
10 people found this helpful
on 12 February 2017
I was given this book for my birthday, and I absolutely love it. My favourite recipes are the Happy Smoothie, and the spinach crepes but all the recipes I have tried have been delicious. My home made granola has gone down a treat with the whole family and I frequently refer to the mood food list at the back of the book. I genuinely feel calmer and happier since following the advice in this book.
6 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2017
Beautifully written. I've read the first part about Rachel Kelly's story and reasons for writing the book several times as they really struck a chord. The recipes themselves that I've tried so far have been delicious and I look forward to working my way through the rest of the book. I love the link between mind and body that is emphasised throughout. Would highly recommend.
on 1 February 2017
What a fantastic book! Bought one for myself as a coeliac vegetarian struggling to eat healthily and one for one of mh daughters struggling with dairy intolerance and depression. What I like are the lists of good foods, seasonally, what they do for your body and easy, adaptable recipes. Intelligently and sensitively written, without being dogmatic! Most ingredients I have found on the shelves of a well known low cost supermarket! Written with expert advice in a non patronising style, highlighting the important connection between food and mental health. I have been waiting for this book for years! Thank you Rachel and Alice.
on 21 March 2017
Very interesting and helpful. Great recipes. I am pleased I bought this and will probably get it when it comes out in paperback because I would find it easier to mark the recipes.
4 people found this helpful
on 5 February 2017
Wow this is an amazing and unusual cook book which not only is a good read with some really helpful tips for the body and mind but also and most importantly the recipes all seem to work and are delicious - recommend the spinach pancakes and the marmite bites!
One person found this helpful
on 12 June 2018
Heard about this author/book on a Health & Nutrition podcast and decided to get from library. Was so brilliant - easy to read, clear sections, flexible and nicely laid out that decided to buy it. Brilliant.
on 5 April 2017
Excellent cookery book, every recipe is tasty, inexpensive to make with produce readily available. I hope there will be a second book.
on 27 January 2017
Interesting to read and tasty recipes. Ingredients are not difficult to get hold of if not already to hand. Think it has improved my mood by rethinking how I cook and what I'm cooking. Lots of interesting flavours and less red meat. Can't be a bad thing.
2 people found this helpful