on 11 November 2012
Not what I was expecting from the title. If the writer was at a party he would be the one who spent all his time name dropping or going one better than everyone else. I love Paris and walk for miles around the city and so was looking forward to reading someone else's similar experiences. But this does not flow, it is not his year in Paris. It jumps from one name drop to another. Yes I like to know history and who has been where, I have followed ideas from other books and found some lovely new experiences but this book has not given me any incentives to think I must go there!
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2018
Not a guide book! But once you realise that it is beautifully written and captures so much of the essence of being in paris. Great escapism with occasional mentions of places one wants to note and call in to in future. It would be useful to know when the writing refers to as I felt it was written quite a long time ago. Another reason why this is better as an imaginary journey, prompting memories of past visits to Paris, rather than as any kind of guide for the future.
on 11 November 2012
After having spent some weeks in Paris this year I was looking forward to reading this book, but was disapointed as I found the title very misleading.
I was expecting to find lots of interesting off the beat information that I could investigate on my next trip. However I found the information and stories inside very run of the mill with stories that any one with a slight knowledge of Paris would be aware of.
During my time this summer I learnt a lot about Paris and its history and of it's flaneurs and I would have expected it to cover information over a larger area and not just the left bank.
Some of the anecdotes were mildly amusing but not a book I would recommend to lovers of walking in Paris
on 20 March 2014
Definitely intended for the "typical" tourist, i.e. American, this book nevertheless does give insights into the "real" Paris and the French as they really are. I'm sure many who yearn to go to Paris but know little about it outside typical literature (Hemingway…) would enjoy this book, which is more of an introduction - and the message that one should take a little more time, wander the streets and just simply sit down occasionally, comes across very clearly.
on 9 April 2014
I must have got it wrong. It's not about walking in one of the most walkable cities in Europe. This is one of those books about how ex pats find themselves experiencing Paris... and not a la Hemmingway! The real shops, the local characters...heard and read it all before.
It isn't a bad book....just one like several others and instantly forgettable. It's probably me..that's at fault.
on 14 February 2014
Certainly not your normal travelogue. More a series of humorous anecdotes, from the broken door-lock, via the opium pipe, to the Swiss performance artist and Marlene Dietrich, with Paris as a backdrop. I really liked the author's style, and his descriptions of the numerous, often eccentric, characters who intersperse the stories. When next I travel to Paris I'd very much like to hire Mr Baxter for a day as a tour guide!
on 24 January 2018
This book was a gift to a good friend of mine, elderly lady like I am. Knowing Paris a bit, she appreciated it a lot as she told me!
on 20 November 2012
Strolling through Mr Baxter's book is like strolling in Paris itself. One starts off slowly and gathers momentum just in time for a petit noir ... relax, contemplate and move on. The book is subtle and not a crash course in "where to go" or "what to do"....nothing in it falls under the heading "must do or see". All is gentle. Neither is it a pocket book to be referred to at every street corner. Read it , make some notes, loosely plan your day then put it away. And this, I believe is Mr Baxter's advice - start with good intent, then say to hell with it and get lost!
It has enough on restaurants (and what and who happened there), on parks, on bookstores etc to be the only thing you really need when visiting Paris.
I didn't particularly care for the chapters on LA and the Australian outback - I know they make for a contrast to the main subject, but who needs it?
Thoroughly recommended.
on 22 November 2013
I bought this just before a trip to Paris where I had not been for about 20 years. It really put me in the mood for Paris. It is so atmospheric. But beware it is not aregular guide book, except as a guide book to the 'ambience' of the city. But is was lovely to have with me, as we walked the city for 3 days. It was like having a friend who lived there telling you about the city as they experience it.
on 17 January 2014
At last, a book that really lives up to its title. This is not just an entertaining amble through the streets and boulevards of Paris, it is also full of distractions, particularly of a literary nature. So we are diverted into the cafes of Hemingway and Scott Fitzgerald, how and why the characters of the late 19th century lived, and places to seek out when you are lucky enough to return to the City of Light. C'est magnifique!